Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Children born in Spain - Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 20 Jan 2005 01:23

Hi - I have a Scottish couple, married in Glasgow. Their first two daughters were born in Spain (according to a census) all subsequent children born in Glasgow. Does anyone know of any online site where I can find their births in Spain and/or info on what the family were doing there? The census specifies the location in Spain. - Just intrigued. - Karen

pamj

pamj Report 21 Jan 2005 09:22

I presume that you´re talking 1880 to 1900. Does his occupation when he returned give you any clue? Things that an Englishman might have been involved with include the mining industry, expansion of railways, working for a shipping company in a port, acting as an agent for a company exporting goods and maybe public works - street lighting etc.

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 21 Jan 2005 23:30

Thanks for replying - yes the 2 children born in Spain were born in 1895 & 1894, the parents were married in Glasgow in 1891 the next two children were born in Glasgow. Farther was a 'brassfinisher' his father a 'boilerplate maker' and 'machine rivetter' among others similar - I thought these jobs connected with railways or ship building. Was it quite common to go and work abroad at this time?

pamj

pamj Report 22 Jan 2005 09:14

I don´t know how common it was, but I know that when my husband´s company supplied railway engines to Iran, he had to go out with some engineers to make sure that they were up and running before the money was paid! Maybe he was working for a company that was setting up some machinery, either in ship building or the railways - and the end of the 1800s was a time in Spain when the railways and the ship building industry were expanding. That would explain why he was there for only a couple of years. Where were they living in Spain?

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 22 Jan 2005 10:38

I thought the census gave the place in Spain but on checking again it says "Spain, (brittish subject)" - my memory and brain are fuddled! - I'm not sure where I would get copies of the birth certificates do you think it would be spain or would the births be registered in UK as well? This is a 'leg' of my tree but not my direct line, they are children of my ancestors brother so not vital just interesting, it was a surprise find as all the others were born, wed and died in the same place.