Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Service Records 19th Century

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Queenie

Queenie Report 19 Jan 2005 19:33

With the information of name ,place of birth, when and who married ,rank, number and a particular location during service is it poss. to send off and get a service record for a soldier? Or do I have to go to Kew myself?

Len

Len Report 19 Jan 2005 20:44

With the information you posses it is possible to find a soldiers records, however what you have to bear in mind is that the majority of WW1, and most records prior to 1942 were destroyed by bombing thanks to Uncle Herman, these are known as the "BURNT DOCUMENTS" some survive but in a very bad condition and are held in the National Archives at Kew. A good site for research is "http://www. 1914-1918.net. Good LUCK Len

Janet

Janet Report 19 Jan 2005 21:17

Amanda You have said nineteenth century in your thread which means records for a soldier in the 1800's. Is this what you meant? If so, then these are not the burnt records. The burnt records were the First World War Soldiers Documents and this was twentieth century. Most of the Officers Documents survived.The 1800 records, if they survive, are in the National Archives at Kew. (Not all these records survived for other reasons.) They are indexed from approximately 1874. Prior approximately to 1874 they are not indexed, and this is where it is essential to have the regiment, otherwise it is very difficult to find them. You neeed to allow yourself plenty of time to find the records and even more time if you are going to search the muster records and pension details if there are any. I would calculate about 2 days at Kew for the research work. You may do it in one day but doubtful. You will either have to do the research yourself at Kew or pay a researcher about £20/£40 an hour to do the work for you. TNA do have a research department themselves but their research rates are top of the scale. However, you will get what you want from them in as short a time scale as possible and it will be accurate. Web site for TNA is: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Janet

sydenham

sydenham Report 20 Jan 2005 17:04

Amanda - if you can give me the regiment and the rough date of discharge I can see if his service records exist. With this info and assuming he was discharged to pension it is very easy. I am there late March. Without the reg and date of discherge it is - as has been said very time consuming. jan