Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Estate properties

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 19 Jan 2005 19:05

Can anyone help with this puzzle. I have traced my g.grandfather who was a Shepherd in Cobham, Kent in 1881. The neighbouring properties were Cobham Hall (presumably the big house), then Cobham Hall Cottage, Cobham Hall Stables etc. Then there are 4 families all with he address Cobham Lodge, followed by 4 families recorded as living in Batts Plantation and finally Batts Plantation is also recorded as 4 uninhabited houses. Are Cobham Lodge and Batts Plantation likely to be individual houses, or each one big property divided into flats? And does anyone know where an address like Batts Plantation might have come from. Thanks Cheryl George Marsh b c1846 in Devizes Wiltshire (aged 35 in 1881) address Ellistone Bottom, Cobham, Kent Wife Ann Marsh Aged 28, children Lizzie, Sussanah, Mary Ann, Alfred John and George Frank

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Jan 2005 19:08

Cheryl Can you post some details so I can look at the image please Jeanette x

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Jan 2005 19:19

You will easily find the hall at www.old-maps.*co.uk (delete*) (Find Cobham, then the hall is to the NE) "Zoom in" and look around the area.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Jan 2005 19:49

Hi Cheryl Found the image and looking at the occupations of the people living there, I would say that the big houses are split to accomodate 4 families. Jeanette x

Peter

Peter Report 19 Jan 2005 20:59

Cobham hall (now a girls school) now has a 150 acres of garden. The lodge (house by the main gate) now seems to be a farm. Could not find any thing on the plantation but there are a lot of woods around the Hall. As for the Cottages I uses to live in an old farm or estate cottage and it was a block of 4 like a big square so it looked like 4 boxes pushed to gether, each haveing there own garden out frount. A cheap way of puting up houses as 4 of the walls devided 2 houses each.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 21:04

Lots of farming estates have "plantations" - usually renewable tree supplies. Expect old Mr Batt planted them or owned them at one time.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 19 Jan 2005 21:53

Thanks everyone, that gives me a better idea of how they lived. Cheryl