Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW DO I KNOW?-NEED HELP PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 18:34

TRYING TO TRACE MY HUBBY'S FAMILY TREE & CAN'T GET GOING. i HAVE HIS FATHER AS VICTOR JOHN ALBERT HARPER BRN MAR 1919. PARENTS AGNES MAUD GANT & ALBERT HARPER, GUNNER ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, LIVING AT WATLINGTON GROVE SYDENHAM SE LONDON. AGNES REMARRIED SEPT 1919. CANT TRACE THE MARRIAGE TO ALBERT & THE ONLY DEATH I CAN FIND FOR A GUNNER RHA IS 25/3/1918 FRANCE WHICH MAKES IT TO EARLY. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ALBERT HARPER I AM LOOKING FOR. I NEED SENDING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION PLEASE. MANY THANKS SANDRA.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 18:46

Not sure. Of course there is a possibility that Gunner Albert was not Victor's dad, but his mum registered him with that dad for respectability. You could check the medal rolls index to see how many Albert Harpers there were - if not too many, perhaps you could try a process of elimination. Medal roll index: www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse-refine.asp?CatID=10&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1 Or just google national archives medal rolls nell

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Jan 2005 18:49

I presume you got the death from the CWGC; are there any possibilities which are listed just by an initial? Have you checked 1837online, under England and Wales, and overseas deaths (the marriage may have been registered before the death if it was overseas)? Are you sure the father died in WW1? There was a flu epidemic just after the war which killed more people than the war did, or he may have fallen downstairs, or died in any number of less heroic ways. Did they get divorced? It became much easier after 1918 as the law was changed. This was blamed for a huge leap in divorce rates, but quite frankly war trauma may have destroyed marriages far more than the authorities would have admitted. Are you sure that the baby was his and not the second husband's? The mother did remarry extremely quickly. As a married woman, her baby would automatically be assumed to be her husband's and the registrar wouldn't necessarily know that the husband had been at war/dead for ten months or so.

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 19:06

Thanks Nell I checked the Nat' Archives and thought i had found the right one and then found death cert on 1837 online but it turned out to give no info other than date of death which was too early Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 19:15

Twinkle Could not find death on CWGC. Not even sure when he died my hubby only knew that his grandmother remarried and had two further boys (surname James) I thought about divorce but cannot find the marriage. I realise nothing is certain on parentage but I will never be able to find out, but thought the second husband would have given him his surname after the marriage Thanks for your help and hope I am doing this right as I have never done this before Sandra (with a Headache)

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 19:19

Netti I have birth certificate but only gives Albert's name and Gunner RHA. The mother was the Informant. Regards Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 19:19

Netti I have birth certificate but only gives Albert's name and Gunner RHA. The mother was the Informant. Regards Sandra

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jan 2005 19:46

Not sure if you've seen it but there's a birth on FreeBMD of Agnes Maud Gant Jun 1893 Lewisham 1a 1165. Just checking 1901 for you for Agnes.

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jan 2005 19:58

1901 Census, 44 Westdale Road, Lewisham James Gant 49 General Labouer born Suffolk Brandon Ellen Gant 40 born Lewisham Rose Gant 17 Forest Hill Kent Reginald Gant 13 Lewisham Julia Gant 9 Forest Hill Maud 8 Forest Hill Charles 6 Forest Hill Henry 4 Forest Hill John 2 Forest Hill Grace 1 Forest Hill

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jan 2005 20:16

1891 46 Westdale Road, Lewisham James 39 Brandon, Carman Lewisham Bd of Wrks, Ellen 30, Ellen E 8, Rosamund 7, Reginald4, Emily 11 mth, all Lewisham 1881 4 The Grove, Lewisham James Gant 27, carman, Ellen Gant 21 carmans wife

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jan 2005 20:34

1871 Bury Road, Brandon, Suffolk George Gant 44 Labouer, woodman Elizabeth Gant 41 Fur? Cutter Ann 10, Agnes 6, James 16 Labouer, farm, Mary 4, Rosana 1 All born Brandon

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 20:59

Helen Thankyou so much for your help re Agnes. It is that marriage with Albert that I need to track down now so I can get an idea on his age. Regards Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 21:33

Thanks Helen he is a bit older than I would have expected but will research and see what i can come up with

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jan 2005 22:28

Deleted the last message as I've found another that seems more likely! Perhaps you could keep this family in mind if you do ever get a marriage cert. FreeBMD has Albert Victor Harper Jun 1890 Lewisham 9a 1073 From 1891 7 Manor Lane, Lewisham Charles Harper 44 Bricklayer born Roydon, Norfolk Elizabeth 44 Sedgford, Norfolk Lillian 16 Lee, Kent Alfred 16 Lee William 13 Lee Bessie 9 Lee Albert 11 months Lee 1901 has widowed Elizabeth living in Lambeth with William E 23 Bricklayer and Albert V 10.

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Jan 2005 23:06

Thanks Helen Have taken note as it does seem a likely one. I do appreciate all your help Sandra