Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Please: What can "Oram" be mistranscribed as

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 19 Jan 2005 17:08

Just wondering what it can be mistranscribed as? Any suggestions....

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Jan 2005 17:19

Hi Steve I would think just about anything according to the accent and how literate the enumerator was! lol Off the top of my head I would think Orem, Horam, Horem, Orann, Orenn, Owram, Owrem, Owen. Try writing out yourself in differet scripts and see what the letters could be mistaken for. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? Jeanette x

mab

mab Report 19 Jan 2005 17:53

Hi Steve, I should think "Cram" might be a likely one Marian

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 19 Jan 2005 17:53

Greeting's Steve ... Just a thought ..... " Oram " was a trade mark for Electric light bulbs ....?? MIKE.

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 19 Jan 2005 18:10

Mike .... I may be wrong but I thought it was OSRAM, for the lightbulbs ?? Sioux

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 19 Jan 2005 18:16

LDS mistranscribed my rellie as Bram in 1881 and I have a Drain in 1901. Who are you trying to locate and in which census(es)? Beth :) Sorry, I forgot to mention my Grand also on LDS

Hannah

Hannah Report 19 Jan 2005 18:27

Hi Steve, I've seen it transcribed as Oran, Oron, Orom before. Incidentally I have Orams in my tree (in Shelley in Essex). Regards, Hannah

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 18:50

Coram?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 19 Jan 2005 20:42

How about Orme.Post the details and we will all have a look

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Jan 2005 20:46

Horam???? dont forget this little lot seem to drop thier H's quite alot! One of my OVERS ended up as a HOVERS also GOERS!!!! Trust my luck to get a posh one! lol Gerri x

Crista

Crista Report 19 Jan 2005 20:56

Steve , There's no point trying to guess. You need to search for them by age, first name and place of birth. Crista