Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quarter Master ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 15:27

What rank/status would an army quarter master have in the late 17th century - does anyone know please?

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Jan 2005 15:33

Have alook here Heather, this may help Sam www.4commando.org.uk/reenactor/ranks/rankchart.htm

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 15:36

Thanks sam, couldnt see a quarter master rank on there, perhaps its no longer used.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2005 15:42

Husband thinks it was a Sergeant. Ann Glos

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Jan 2005 16:36

Go back and look again young lady! Quarter-Master Serjeant (not my spellling!) or Squadron Quarter-Master Corporal (Household Cavalry)

Walter

Walter Report 19 Jan 2005 16:54

... quarter-master, Description:organiser of supplies, usually in the army . RANK COULD BE FROM QUARTER MASTER GENERAL DOWN TO QUARTER MASTER CORPORAL. WAS (I dont know if still is) the Store keeping branch within all our armed forces ARMY, NAVY & AIRFORCE ,

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 18:14

Sam, if you want me to contribute to any of your rude mailings in future, you better be kind to me. Actually, what I wanted was a description, basically what sort of grade of rank it was. If you would be commissioned in 1690 or could work your way up the ranks, bit like a Seargent Major nowdays? Found one who may be an ancestor - married well, owned land in Rotherhithe now docklands. Thing is, the elderly relative allocated the job (as in Commandment 65?) has told me since I was a toddler that we owned land by the docks which the family leased to a company and never sold but the papers were lost. It seems there may just be some truth in this if I can tie up this Quarter Master guy with the next generation. Though I have to be honest, I am absolutely kn**** today and not my usual observant, efficient self. What with 16 year old poorly terrier sharing my bed and me having the night flushes ladies of a certain age get, I literally had about 3 hours sleep then up again at 6 for my voluntary job. Feel like a Zombie.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 18:23

Thanks Walter, thats what I was looking for. So could be commissioned or non-commisioned.