Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker 2005

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 19 Jan 2005 14:06

I have just got this and have a quick question.... does anyone know if there is a way I can change the birthdate to the christening date. Sometimes a christening is all the info I have so to put it down as birth is incorrect. Also a smaller point, on my old FTM I could change the background colour, can it be done with this one? I had a nice pink on the old one!

Jack

Jack Report 19 Jan 2005 15:15

The way I've done it is to record only the year of birth as the date of birth and then click on Edit (with small pencil icon), click on Add Fact and on the scroll down menu, choose Baptism. Type in the date you have and click on OK. Hope that helps. Jack

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 15:30

Thats how Ive done it but it would be nice to know if there is a better way anyone?

Dorsetbaby

Dorsetbaby Report 19 Jan 2005 17:31

i just put it in as bef and then the date

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 18:28

Also, I cant yet work out how to get a descendant tree that would cover an ancestor from say 1600 down to little old me. It seems to stop at the end of the family group. Anyone know what Im doing wrong please. A chap has contacted me from this site and his GGFx2 is the bro of mine and he has asked for a descendant chart not a ged com. Be grateful for any advice.

McB

McB Report 19 Jan 2005 20:54

Naomi Go to File then preferences click on general tab and put a tick in the box that says USE FTM CLASSIC COLOURS, you can only change it to a cream background. Brian

McB

McB Report 19 Jan 2005 20:58

Heather Go to file preferences then general tab ,There is a box to change the number of generations from 1-7 Brian

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 19 Jan 2005 20:58

scuse me but can anyone tell me what a family tree maker is plz? Is it something that you can buy? Dummy newbie me

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 21:05

Thanks very much, but I have 11 generations - is there no way I can do that many on a descendant chart please?

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 21:07

Gerri, Family Tree Maker - 2005 is the newest edition - is a program you put on your pc so that all your tree is nicely kept and you can (hopefully!) print out beautiful trees and charts and reports. You can also make a home page through it. PC World is selling it for about £27 at the moment.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jan 2005 07:56

Thanks Julie, I must be doing something wrong - I have no problem adding them to the program. But its when I want to print out a descendants chart that they seem to stop abruptly. I will have to play around with it today and find out what Im doing wrong.