Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Curious...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 19 Jan 2005 11:47

While browsing DocumentsOnline, I came across the following, "BT372/1673/94 alongside my name and date of birth", does anyone know what it all means? It could be Merchant Navy, but any advice would be appreciated. Derek in France

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Jan 2005 11:58

What it says on their website re bt372: Records relating to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation documents and notifications of death. The contents of any particular pouch, however, may cover any period starting after1913 and ending up to 1972 and possibly, although unlikely, beyond. When seamen were discharged some or all of their documents (including the index cards) were placed in the pouches and these include discharges of seamen who were originally registered in the Central Index Register of 1913 to 1941. B

Derek

Derek Report 19 Jan 2005 16:47

Thanks for your reply, Brenda. I'll have to find time next time I visit London to follow it up, Derek in France