Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trade Directories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 23:21

Can anyone suggest where to find Trade Directories for Derby for the 1800's? I've looked at Historical Directories online and located the 1835 Piggotts but are there any others? How often were they printed? Lou x

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 23:26

Lou, they have some on ancestry dont they.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 23:35

Hi hon Not sure, do they? I'm obviously not getting the most from my ancestry sub seeing as I just use it for BMD and census images! Will have a look....

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 23:37

Right hand side of the board where it says more or something.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 23:41

Thanks hon Found some and one has 6 references for one of my ancestors names so going to disappear into a Gazeteer for a bit! Lou x

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 00:03

How dense am I? I had no idea there was so much else on ancestry!

John

John Report 19 Jan 2005 00:09

Try www.historicaldirectories.org

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 00:17

Thanks, tried that, just wanted a bit more variety and ancestry has it! I'm have a great time here!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 19 Jan 2005 09:46

Archive CD books has lots of Derbyshire directories from the 19th century. They aren't free, of course, but don't seem horrendously expensive: around £10-£15. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 09:50

Thanks Christine I found some interesting stuff last night on ancestry. I obviously was NOT fully utilising my subscription, I found a whole heap of stuff on there I never knew existed (shows how much attention I'VE been paying!). One thing I did find was a marriage for my 4 x grandfather that was NOT to my 4 x grandmother so a whole NEW search to sort out. Oh hum....! Lou xx

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 12:20

Yes, I played about with it all one day and was very surprised how much more was available on the site when you looked. Well worth the money, eh? and look at the pleasure we got even from their mistranscriptions.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 13:13

Heather 3am I was up till last night cos once I got started, it was 'Just this one and I'll go to bed', 'Oh, look at this one....' What I didn't anticipate finding was a marriage for my 4 x grandfather (certain its him) that ISN'T to my 4 x grandmother so a whole new thing to investigate now! Lou x

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 19 Jan 2005 13:54

There is lots of mention on this thread about Ancestry . . . . is Ancestry Plus the same?

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jan 2005 14:06

Brian I have no idea! I just access ancestry and go from there. There's quite a few thread about ancestry plus if you have a look on the board, it might explain it for you Lou

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 19 Jan 2005 14:08

Lou - I can get into Ancestry Plus but I haven't looked at Ancestry very much, just wondered if it was the same Brian

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jan 2005 15:16

I have to say that the ancestry sub is well worth it and if you are going to do a lot of research then £1.20 for freedom 24/7 to look at all the facilities makes sense. I even found someone their Grandads Indian Army record on their the other day.