Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any budding Sherlocks or Miss Marples out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jan 2005 14:05

See below

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jan 2005 14:13

I have the Marriage Certficate of my 3XG Grandparents Joseph Clarkson and Ann Atkinson. The marriage took place in Manchester in August 1841. Ann is a minor and her father is named as HOLBY Atkinson, joiner. I have located a baptism for Ann on the IGI, 13/10/1822 at Manchester, parents HOLABY Atkinson and Elizabeth. There are Census entries in 1871/81/91 for a later born HOLDBY Atkinson born Manchester, also entries on FreeBMD that show the later one. I cannot find any siblings for Ann, locate the marriage of her parents or the baptism of her father. Can anyone find me any more online info about this family please? I've been trying to say the name with a Coronation Street accent to see how else it may have been spelled!

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Jan 2005 15:35

Hi Helen i've had a trawl through i.g.i. and found nothing but the batch no. for Ann only covers 3/4 years in Manchester cathedral.As for alternate spelling Holdey came up using a wild card(*)in ancestry.

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jan 2005 15:49

Cheers Jim, I'll check out the Ancestry entry.

Teaky

Teaky Report 18 Jan 2005 15:56

Sorry but the lastest I can find is someone born around 1831 which is too late isn't it?

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jan 2005 17:36

Debby I saw that entry. There's a Holdby Atkinson on the 1881 with wife and kids, born Manchester and living in Birmingham. I'm sure he must fit in somewhere. I think someone on the records board was offering lookups of Lancs 51/61 Census so I might try and find him, hopefully with his parents. Thanks everyone for looking.

Walter

Walter Report 18 Jan 2005 19:49

HELEN, SOME OF YOU YOUNGER ONE'S TEND TO FORGET THAT ONLY 50/60YEARS AGO MANY PEOPLE LEFT SCHOOL UNABLE TO WRITE ANYTHING MORE THAN THEIR OWN NAME & DEPENDANT UPON WHICH PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU CAME FROM IT WAS SOMETIMES DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE 'LOCAL DIALECT' IF YOU HAPPENED TO STRAY ACROSS THE COUNTY BORDER(indeed I can recall in the days of my youth cycling through a village no more than 12 miles from my home being totally unable to understand the the reply given when we asked for directions) NOW IF YOU PROJECT THIS BACKWARDS IS IT NOT UNDERSTANDABLE THAT JACK BROWN GETS TRANSCRIBED AS 'JECK BROON' AS THATS WHAT THE TRANSCRIBER ACTUALLY HEARD.To quote a few of the easy ones that my own North Eastern Dialect allows me to remember Harris becomes ARRAS, Burn becomes BOURNE, Cowell becomes COWL, Jaques becomes JAKES, Kirtley becomes CURTLEY, Herring becomes HERON, and the list goes on and on, many of us have experienced this in the changes made to our own name spellings in our researchs WE MUST ALL REMEMBER THAT 'LOCAL DIALECTS' HAVE BEEN ALMOST SMOOTHED OUT OVER THE LAST 30/40 YEAR BY BOTH TELEVISION AND EDUCATION SO I ASK YOU TO REMEMBER THAT THE FURTHER YOU GO BACK IN TIME THE MORE COMMON IT IS TO FIND THAT 'DIALECT' USED BY THE GIVER OF INFORMATION SUFFERS IN ITS TRANSCRIPION BY THE OFTEN UNEDUCATED CENSUS TAKER, VERGER OR INFORMATION TAKER WHO WAS OFTEN DEAF AND/OR FAMILIAR WITH THE LOCAL DIALECT AT THE TIME HE WAS GIVEN THE INFORMATION

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 20:10

It's not just how it is said, it is how it is written down and then read/misread and rewritten incorrectly later! nell

Seasons

Seasons Report 20 Jan 2005 00:12

Walter can you help Have an Anne Norman who married a James Andrew (s) c 1900 but cannot find her marriage or death (Lancashire). Any idea what I could look up for Norman - have tried Mormon, Andrew, Andrews but stumped.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Jan 2005 07:07

Hi Patricia, Try Newman Gwynne