Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Head aching - Please extra brain and eyes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 13:57

Please see below and excuse ramblings.

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 13:59

Source information: RG10/642 Registration district: St Olave Southwark Sub-registration district: Rotherhithe ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Folio: 129 Page: 26 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 151 I am reviewing all the stuff I put into my tree program when I first started this nearly a year ago (amazing how I didnt put in refs etc - shows you do learn with time). Looking at my Great Grandad, William Dixon born c1852 Rotherhithe and realised only had 1881 census info on him. So back I go to ancestry (I didnt have a sub back then!) and find the family in 1871 (he married at 16!!) Can anyone see what age the wife is Mary Ann. And do you reckon the 14 year old Caroline (down as daughter) is his sister? On the 1901 he has a different wife and even more kids! I knew nothing about this (strange how little you do at the beginning without your ancestry sub!!). Can anyone find the death of Mary Ann Dixon between the 1881 and 1901 please. I can see one in 1899 aged 57 but this would (theoretically!) be too old for her. Can anyone find the randy old devil remarrying a Jane between census , probably just before 1901 as there is a 9 month old baby. Sorry to lay this all on you but I was up til 2 a.m. and then had only 4 hours sleep. Be grateful for help at the moment! Head spinning, anyone who can make any sense.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Jan 2005 14:14

Deaths Jun 1884 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dixon Mary Ann 35 St. Olave 1d 145 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Dec 1894 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dixon Mary Ann 26 St.Olave 1d 84 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Mar 1899 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dixon Mary Ann 57 St. Olave 1d 133

Anna

Anna Report 18 Jan 2005 14:15

His wifes age looks like 22 to me.I would say that 14 year old Caroline is his sister not daughter as the relationship is usually to the head of the house Anna :-)

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 14:17

Bless you. The 26 too young, 57 too old, but maybe, just may be the 35 year old. YES, I do believe that fits! Many many thanks! What would I do without you guys?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jan 2005 14:18

I'll go along with Anna. Mary Ann 22 and Caroline is his sister Jeanette x

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Jan 2005 14:25

is it possible that esther jane was known as just jane??? Marriages Sep 1888 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONDON Richard St. Olave 1d 475 DIXON William Frederick St. Olave 1d 475 Heimers Mary St. Olave 1d 475 LITTLE Esther Jane St. Olave 1d 475

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 14:29

MMm, not sure about that as I have never seen GGF with a second name up to now? Never know though. Didnt realise he had another wife til today! Looking at the info again on the 1901 - there is a Richard aged 8 - I wonder if poor old Mary Ann died in childbirth. Then the gap to the 9 month old. So we can assume a marriage (if there was one and Jane wasnt already in the family way) about 1889. So could be you clever girl. Just bit concerned about names issue

Anna

Anna Report 18 Jan 2005 14:29

Have you got him in 1891? If not,Is this him, Dixon, William 40 Rotherhithe, London Head Rotherhithe London Dixon, Jane 28 Bow, London Wife Rotherhithe London Dixon, Ada 8 Willesden, London Daughter Rotherhithe London Dixon, Albert 12 Rotherhithe, London Son Rotherhithe London Dixon, Charles 6 Willesden, London Son Rotherhithe London Dixon, Florence 7 Rotherhithe, London Daughter Rotherhithe London Dixon, Jane 1 Rotherhithe, London Daughter Rotherhithe London If this is him,then hes married to/living with Jane by 1891 Anna :-)

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 14:44

Many thanks, but no thats not him - he would have been 39 (consistent on that) she would have been a couple of years younger and from Rotherhithe, not Bow and the kids dont exist on the 1901. Trouble with a name like Dixon and the fact they bred like rabbits in that area of London!.