Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificate Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 11:39

Just received one this morning and on it, it says 'Residence at time of marriage - Ashton under Lyne'. No actual address so am really no further forward! Would the actual parish register have more information or is what's on the cert all I can have! Thanks Lou x

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 18 Jan 2005 13:12

Hi, It's likely that the PR would have exactly the same info. They are supposed to be identical. Gwynne

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 18 Jan 2005 14:28

Lou - What year was it?

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 17:40

Hi Brian 1863...was hoping to use the marriage cert addie as an aid to finding them on the 1861 census. 'Ashton' doesn't really help a lot! Lou

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jan 2005 17:48

Frustrating isn't it? I know just how you feel. Are the occupations any help in locating them possibly in a particular part of the town? This has helped me to concentrate my searches in a particular area, sometimes with success.

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Jan 2005 17:49

Lou You will find exactly the same in the parish register. I'm afraid in those days they weren't very helpful in addresses. Probably say something like "of this parish" or "of the parish of wherever" Looks like a hard slog on the census!! It was like that all the time on microfiche before we had name or even address indexing. Just search the whole area until you found them. Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!! Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2005 18:01

Doesn't help that his father's surname is spelt differently to his on the marriage cert so still clueless as to which one I'm supposed to be searching for! There's no father's occupations on it...beginning to think that they just made up these fathers to keep the vicar happy! Can find no trace of them on the 1871 census either, nor a death or marriage... Oh well..... xx