Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Previous Surnames on Death Cert ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2005 10:03

I am hoping someone will know the answer to this query - I am about to order a death cert for my ggrandmother. She was married 3 times, maiden name Langley then Cowler, Petry and Kew. I have found a death record for a Ellen Kew in York and I just wondered if the cert will state any of her previous names to allow me to confirm that I have the right one? Regards Kx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jan 2005 10:21

I think it depends on what year the death happened. I have just received my great-grandmothers death certificate last week which was from 1923 and there is no maiden name on it. Perhaps someone else knows when they started putting maiden names on death certificates (I have a feeling it's not till round about the 1960's but I am not certain). Kath. x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jan 2005 10:25

Would there be a next of kin named on the death cert? The name might ring a bell Jeanette x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Jan 2005 10:29

Had a look through the death certs that I have - 1951 didn't have woman's maiden name, 1973 did. So 1960's sounds right. 1969 was when they started putting full date of birth (rather than age), so maybe that's when maiden name got added too.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Jan 2005 10:43

The certs show the relationship of the informant to the deceased, where known. This is not necessarily the same thing as next of kin though.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jan 2005 10:44

Thanks Richard. I wasn't sure Jeanette x

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2005 10:49

Thanks to all ...... I will order the cert as I am sure its the right one. Kx

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Jan 2005 10:51

The cert would probably name her last husband at least - depending on whether she outlived him or not, would say "wife/widow of xxx Kew". So if you know her last husband's first name, you could use that as a checking point.

Val

Val Report 18 Jan 2005 11:21

I know in Scotland they put the names of every marriage on but England is different as my grandad was married twice but it was not on it