Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was the accent the problem?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 18 Jan 2005 09:39

I have lost a Hickton family on all census after 1861 when they were in Warwick. Then in 1883 I have found the marriage of Caroline Hickton, who could be one of the daughters, in Derby, but there is no Caroline Hickton at all on the 1881 census. I have tried all of the imaginative ways of spelling Hickton that I can think of, but no sign of any of the family. Can anyone tell me what "Hickton" said in a Warwick accent would have sounded like to a census taker in Derby?! Then I can try spelling it that way!! Thanks Christine in NZ

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 09:44

Have you tried using an M instead of the H? Otherwise have you tried just putting in her first name and birth year to check through.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 18 Jan 2005 09:44

How old would she be? I'll have a quick look for her.

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 18 Jan 2005 09:47

Caroline was 2 on the 1861, so was born abt 1859. her parents were Samuel born 1827 in Stratford and Emma born abt 1834 in Warwick. I have tried M instead of H, and S instead of H, but thought that with the accent the "ickton" bit may also be wrong!

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 09:58

Have you tried Wickton, capital H and W look alike in some old handwriting. Also the ickton bit might be igton or igdon. Heather

Anne

Anne Report 18 Jan 2005 13:58

Have you tried Ickton?

Crista

Crista Report 18 Jan 2005 14:15

Christine, I think the marriage you found is for this Caroline: Birth: HICTON, Caroline 1864 March Derby Derbyshire 7b 393 Marriage: HICKTON, Caroline 1883 March Derby Derbyshire 7b 785 She shows as Higton on the census records. Have you checked to see if Emma remarried? Crista

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 18 Jan 2005 14:19

It's probably of no actual help to you but several years ago I couldn't find the marriage of my g grandmother, Margaret Hastings. I eventually found the marriage and her surname was written as Hestin!!!

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 18 Jan 2005 20:54

I have tried searching under all of those letters, and have just finished searching all of the Samuels born in Stratford. I agree with Christa that it seems that this was not my Caroline, so I guess that the only thing left is that they emmigrated. I know that they did not come to NZ, am fairly sure they did not go to Australia, so maybe the USA or Canada. I don't know why Samuel interests me so much, he is not even my direct line! He is the only full sibling of my gg grandfather who died in the Crimean war. Every time I give up on him he appears again somewhere, just to whet my appetite again! Do you hear me Sam? I give up AGAIN!!!!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2005 21:44

He will probably turn up now.

Crista

Crista Report 18 Jan 2005 22:30

Did you see this death? Name: Hickton, Samuel Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 64 Quarter: March Year: 1890 District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 6d Page: 166 Crista

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 18 Jan 2005 22:39

Yes Christa, I am keeping an eye on that death, the age fits but where was he in 1871 and 1881? There is nobody on either census that fits the age, unless they were Higtons as well. Maybe I will have a quick look now! Christine

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 18 Jan 2005 22:50

Just had a look and there are no Samuel Hicton, Higton or Higdon that match for age. Maybe I will just have to take a plunge and buy another (probably) useless certificate! It is not that I am defeatist, but my Sam usually hides better than this!!

Crista

Crista Report 18 Jan 2005 22:58

Christine, Were there any other children in 1861? What town was Caroline born in? Crista