Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WOODGER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 17 Jan 2005 17:13

Hi All I know I seem to be obsessed with family bibles and items for sale on e-bay at the mo (but it distracts me away from my brickwalls!!!) but the following item on e-bay caught my eye today, found it rather sad its away from family :( SUPERB yet poignant set of documents & photos belonging to Bandsman FREDERICK WOODGER 517266 of the Gloucs.Items include his [& wifes] birth certificates & his Regular Army Certificate of Service dated 1925 when he was transferred to the Army Reserve after 9 years colour service.He was born in 1901 & joined the Gloucs. in 1916 aged just 15 & was transferred to the reserves in 1925 after EXEMPLARY service as a fine saxophone player.There are no indications he actually served at the front during WW1 but perhaps further research could ascertain this.Also included is his WW2 identity card + marriage certificate & wifes death certificate & loads of newspaper cuttings etc.The photo album contains SCORES of pictures & postcards ,many pre WW1 but mostly of military interest. Do people think its worth messaging Woodger researchers found on the "name search"?? Sarah

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 17 Jan 2005 17:24

Hi Sarah, I would certainly be inclined to message the Woodgers on these boards. If someone found something relating to my family I sure hope they would contact me. It's so sad when these type of items are just disregarded. I hope you can find someone who is related to Frederick. Best wishes Janet

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jan 2005 17:57

Would you mind keeping an eye out for a Horstead Family Bible. There used to be HUGE one at my nans that disappeared.