Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'VE FOUND MY JOHN GASKIN!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 23:18

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 23:19

Well, I can't take any of the credit. Constance Whetton (Mary) has them on the 1851 census. My 4 x grandfather William and her Edward are brothers. So not only do I now have my missing family after almost a year and a half, but I have a rellie on this site too! Just had to tell everyone and say a big THANK YOU to all those who've gone round in circles with me looking for him! Lou (very happy now and going to see whether we have any beer in the house!) xx

Heather

Heather Report 16 Jan 2005 23:24

Hoo bloody ray!

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 23:25

Now now...don't tell me you were getting fed up with him too!

John

John Report 16 Jan 2005 23:39

Lou, well done No beer But here's a Voddy John

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jan 2005 07:39

Im very very pleased for you Lou. Now about this Thomas Jenkins ............... Actually, Im beginning to wonder whether they had married quarters in those days. Apart from the first kid (when I dont reckon they were married) all the others are born in Westminster though registered in Southwark. He was at Wellington Barracks, Westminster. The only other thing which I cant quite work out if its connected - is that I found a Thomas Jenkins right aged living in the home village (on welsh boarders) with what appears to be Thomas seniors bro. Now I suppose it could be a coincidence (as I said in the Commandments Thread, choose one of three names if you are a Jenkins) but I just wonder if said kid was dumped off down there and shown as bros boy until they actually married. mmm ...............

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2005 10:08

Heather We used to live at barracks down there, I'm not sure whether one is still called Wellington but I'll ask Mark once he gets up! Mark did Queens Guard for a year (and was actually on TV for the Queens Mum's funeral - his only claim to fame to date bless him!) and I'm SURE he was stationed at Westminster. Our Army house was Hounslow but he did a lot at Clarence House and Windsor. Will e mail you later if he has any pearls of wisdom! Lou x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 17 Jan 2005 10:50

YAY Lou :) That means there's hope for us all :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2005 11:26

Tracy As I said, I can't take any of the credit. Mary just happened to notice one of my whingeing threads and knew the names rang a bell. I'm not sure who Edward is to her but he's my gggrandfather John's brother. Not sure what that makes Mary to me either, rubbish with this relationship stuff! Lou

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 17 Jan 2005 11:37

lol... probably 3rd cousins 4 times removed or something. I found a couple of those on here too :)

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jan 2005 11:38

Thanks Lou. However distant the cousins are I still think its lovely and comforting when people do contact you and your genes are floating around somewhere else in the world. I seem to remember going out with a young soldier when I was a teenager(God, how long ago was that - but I was wearing mini-skirt!) and he was stationed at Chelsea barracks, wonder if they are the same place? PS - What a shame! Mark got his 15 minutes of fame and couldnt even smile or wave at the camera.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2005 13:01

And we have the entire funeral on tape just to see him for about 30 seconds! He wants to show it to the little ones when they're older....Daddy in his uniform, not the funeral!