Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How many marriage witnesses??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jan 2005 21:07

Could people have three witnesses?

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jan 2005 21:12

Actually, I've just realised that this wedding has four witnesses. I was being very silly and thought it was two witnesses with rather peculiar double-barrelled names! But, I've just noticed the commas in between! Ooops! They were obviously a very popular couple! Natalie

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jan 2005 21:18

Thanks for your confirmation, Johnathon. I've only ever come across certificates with two witnesses before. Natalie

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Jan 2005 21:24

Got five on my marriage cert. I have seen one with six. Margaret

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jan 2005 21:26

I did think that "F. Bushby Charles Read" and "Sarah Frances Read Ellen King" were rather unusual names!!!! Don't know why, but I thought there was a rule that you could only have two. Thanks for putting me straight. Natalie

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 16 Jan 2005 21:29

well just to confuse any one who ever researches me, I have 3 and one them is my daughter using her name which she deed polled too(not her birth name), and she was only 9!!!!!!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Jan 2005 21:30

Believe there has to be two to make tha marriage legal. After that suppose it is down to the presiding official as to how many he will allow. We have never seen more than two so it is interesting to hear your examples of three and more.