Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please - Marriages / divorces??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kylie

Kylie Report 16 Jan 2005 18:08

I am trying to find details of my grandmothers marriage /s. My aunt has told me that my grandmother, Dorothy Patricia Spencer, b 1925, Wolverhampton was married young in Birmingham and then met my grandfather Sidney WG Ansell. As Dorothy's husband would not grant a divorce she changed her name by deed poll to Ansell and wore a gold ring. My father,however, believes my grandmother did marry my grandfather in 1942 (which would've made her 17). On the birth certificates, my grandmother gave her maiden name as Spencer (earliest 1946) I cannot find any details of any marriages on Ancestry or 1837, aside from a Dorothy (G?) marrying a Jennings Jul - Sep 1942. How would I find out if/ when Dorothy married my grandfather or changed her name as the case may be? Thanks in anticipation - Kylie

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 18:22

There is an information leaflet on line abot deed poll name changes here: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/name/ As to whether she married your grandfather under her maiden name/previous married name/Ansell you will just have to trawl through the marriage indexes to find out. I don't know that she would have needed to bother to change her name by deed poll though. It would have been much easier (and still valid) to call herself "Mrs Ansell" anyway. nell

Kylie

Kylie Report 16 Jan 2005 18:41

Thanks Nell, Time to start trawling again! Kylie