Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems finding marriage info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 16 Jan 2005 14:38

I've been trying to find info on my gg grandfather, John MAY (b c1825) and keep running into brick walls. I attempted another route today -- to try to find marriage info to my gg grandmother Mary TYE (probably around 1849/50 in Hildenborough/Tonbridge in Kent as they had their first child in 1850) but haven't been able to find anything in the civil registration index. I don't know what to do next! Mary May is listed as a widow in the 1871 census, so I assume he died between the birth of their last child in 1869 and 1871. Can anyone offer any suggestions to where I should look next? Thank you! Trevor

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 14:49

Trevor Can't find anything on www.familysearch.org or Ancestry civil reg. I think you will have to go through the parish marriage registers in the records office. nell

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 16 Jan 2005 15:00

Hi Trevor It is best to check a few years before 1849/1850, and if no luck try spelling variations like Mey for John or Tie or Dye as they were sometimes mistranscribed. Ben

Trevor

Trevor Report 16 Jan 2005 15:13

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I've checked as far back as about 1840 and forward as far as 1860 with various variations under both names without any luck. I'm going to have to take a trip to the Tonbridge Local Studies Library. They seem to have earlier censuses than the ones I currently have access to, as well as parish registers for Tonbridge and Hildenborough.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 16 Jan 2005 15:45

I had a look on http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk but couldn't get any useful results, so I presume they haven't yet transcribed the records you need. Christine

Trevor

Trevor Report 16 Jan 2005 16:49

Many thanks for checking, Christine. Looks like I'm going to have to take my first step into the world of the microfiche... :) Fortunately Tonbridge is only about a 45 minute drive from me.