Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any tips for further ideas please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa

Teresa Report 15 Jan 2005 19:04

My trail has gone completely cold and im hoping someone can think of something new to try. My GGG Grandmother Sarah Newman married- had a daughter, then was widowed, then went to New Zealand as family legend has it - leaving daughter behind. Only had a postcard from her signed SC so probably remarried out there. Do you think she would be traced via her birth name or her married and widowed name? What name do people think i should be searching for? The maiden name or the widowed name? Nothing on LDS or anywhere else. Have a lovelt photo of her that she sent from wherever it was she went but not much of a clue in the photo - could be anywhere really - any help most gratefully received Teresa

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 15 Jan 2005 19:09

She'd have needed a passport. You don't specify dates but the nationalarchivist website has application details from the mid 19th century up to 1903. Do you know she was married/died in NZ? I don't know how their civil registration system works, but it is likely she kept her married name after her husband's death. Could she have remarried and moved to another part of Britain with her new husband rather than emigrated?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 19:09

Her widowed name. But if you only have legend to go on - she may have gone to New Zealand? She could have remarried. Who did she leave her daughter with? nell

Teresa

Teresa Report 15 Jan 2005 19:17

wow thanks for the speedy replies!! the photo we have of her shows her on horse back in some sort of `outback` so family legend appears to be true. the horse is wearing western style tack. from the back of the postcard i have dated it to after 1905 when postcard backs had a dividing line on the rearside. My gg grandmother certainly never heard from her again - she was still alive when i was little. its quite a problen to do searches so far away as they have little online all i knoe for sure is that she was on the 1891 census just after her husband died in 1890 (living with her mother) but had gone by the time came around for the 1901 census. teresa

Teresa

Teresa Report 16 Jan 2005 17:11

just to add it would be really useful if anyone knows of a website where you could post photos that you want some help with such as dating or identifying an area tess