Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 uniform/badges expert required!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2005 11:35

I have found a photo (think it could be my great Grandfather) of a gentleman dressed in what appears to be a World War 1 uniform. I can't see what the cap badge is as there is a big crease on that part of the photo. The only other badge that is visible is one on his left sleeve. It looks like it could be a red cross badge but of course the photo is black and white. The badge is round with what looks lke a white background with a coloured cross in the center. Would there be any other badge issued with a cross on? Jeanette x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jan 2005 12:20

Do you have any info about his WW1 service - have you been able to get his medal card? Could this be RAMC, for instance? Christine

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2005 12:45

Christine I have no idea. I didn't even know he had been in the forces until I found this photo. Jeanette x

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 15 Jan 2005 12:46

Hi Jeanette, there is a site to help identify millitary badges, it might take a while to trawl through it though if you don't know what regiment, corp etc he was in. http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/badges/badgestart.htm Christine

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2005 12:50

Thanks Christine. I'll give it a go Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2005 14:35

Christine The badges on that site all seem to be cap badges, but from what I can see of the cap badge on my photo, it looks like the one for the The Royal Army Medical Corps which would tie in with the cross on the arm badge. Thanks ever so Jeanette x

Andy

Andy Report 15 Jan 2005 16:13

HI JEANETTE I HAVE BEEN TRACING MY GREAT GRANDFATHER IN WW1 TO AND NOT MUCH INFO IS AROUND DUE ARMY RECORDS BEING DESTROYED IN WW2, BUT I SUGGEST THAT THE BEST PLACE TO START IS AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES WEBSITE HERE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET HOLD OF HIS MEDAL RECORD AND CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR A COST OF ABOUT £4, ALSO A GOOD WEB SITE TO TRY IS www.1914-1918.net THIS HELPED ME LOOK UP THE TYPE OF MEDALS FROM HIS CARD. ALSO THE COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISION WEBSITE IS A GREAT PLACE TO LOOK www.cwgc.org JUST IN CASE HE DIED OVERSEAS OR AT HOME, ITS A FREE SEARCH OF GRAVES UK AND ABROAD. GOOD LUCK IN HUNTING HOPE THIS IS OF HELP. ANDY

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Jan 2005 16:54

Hi Andy Have just been looking on the National Archives site and have located 3 possibles. I have also found another 3 possibles just incase the picture is of one of my great Grandfathers brothers. (Has to be one of the family going by looks) Going out on the town soon so will have to download them tomorrow! lol. I know he didn't die during the war. But I wonder if you can answer this question for me. Where there any volunteer organisations associated with the RAMC? It's just that I don't ever remember my great Aunt mentioning that he was in the war. Jeanette x

Janet

Janet Report 15 Jan 2005 22:35

hi jeanette i agree with andrew the www.1914-1919 website is excellent i gave them some info regarding my grt grandad and all i had was a pic they helped so much and ive now got all the details i needed from where he enlisted to rank/unit/reg and even the date he entered france, good luck. janet

Joy

Joy Report 15 Jan 2005 23:16

I agree - I have recommended www.1914-1918.net several times to people. Joy

Win

Win Report 16 Jan 2005 08:41

I always thought my grandfsther was in the Durham Light Infantry during first World War. I had no idea of rank or number. I was told to look up the absent voters list for 1919 as many soldiers had not returned home. Durham records office were really helpful. It turned out my grandmother had returned to her original home and my grandfather was in the Service Corps and it gave his rank and number. Hope this helps Win Wallace