Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Marines on 1901 cemsus help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 15 Jan 2005 00:03

Please see below(when I've Typed it )

Jane

Jane Report 15 Jan 2005 00:07

Can anyone tell me how to access barracks census details on the 1901 Census . I am looking for Francis Albert Ackerman , a Sergeant ,Royal Marines( I think in one of the Chatham Barrack) and found that on th Govt. Census it became too expensive . Any way to find these lists on Ancestry Please Jane

Smiley

Smiley Report 15 Jan 2005 01:23

Is this him in 1881? Francis Albert Ackerman abt 1876 London Kentish Town, London, Middlesex, England Son St Pancras If so, place & DOB are always helpful 1897 marriage, which one was his bride? Ackerman, Francis Albert 1897 December Pancras London Middlesex 1b 110 Harding, Minnie Florence E 1897 December Pancras London Middlesex 1b 110 LOW, Sydney Henry 1897 December Pancras London Middlesex 1b 110 Williams, Mary Ann 1897 December Pancras London Middlesex 1b Sam

Joan

Joan Report 15 Jan 2005 08:46

Ruby, I've failed to find my grandfather in the 1901 census. I think that if they were at sea they weren't recorded. I'm disappointed too that Royal Marine medals aren't on the medals list as they count as navy...even though they fought as infantry in WW1 I believe. Good luck searching.Joan

Jane

Jane Report 15 Jan 2005 11:41

Thankyou all, Yes the 1881 Census is him(he?) He was born on 2nd.June 1875 and I also have seen the alternatives for his Marriage. I am inclined to think that it MAY be Mary Williams as my Mother referred to her as Aunt Polly. They had at least 2 sons in 1907 in Portsmouth ( via my late Ma) He may have been at sea but can't find any credible return for either a Mary Or Minnie. I found Tentative birth for a Francis Joseph reg Eastry But not really enough to go on. Thanks again ,Jane

sydenham

sydenham Report 15 Jan 2005 14:15

You are able to get Royal Marine service records at Kew - they are on microfilm and all you really need is which of the 4 he belonged to - you are half way there with Chatham. Jan

Jane

Jane Report 15 Jan 2005 14:40

Thanks Janice, I have got his full service record ,so will have get a researcher to look up at Kew Jane