Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death on board a ship

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2005 20:43

If a family were emigrating from England to Winnipeg, Canada (circa 1880) and one of the family died during the journey, where would the death be registered? Unfortunately I don't know where they sailed from or where they docked in North America.

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Jan 2005 20:52

the ca[tain has to ensure its registered at the next bit of dry land

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2005 20:58

Would I be right in thinking that most ships sailing to Canada would have sailed from Liverpool? If that's the case where would they dock?

Wendy

Wendy Report 14 Jan 2005 20:58

The death would be entered in the ship's log book, with details. It would be worth trying to find the name of the ship.

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 14 Jan 2005 20:58

Hi Brian The National Archivist site has the following database; Births, Marriages and Deaths at Sea 1854 - 1890 British Subjects and Other Nationalities compled by the Registrar General for Shipping and Seamen (RGSS) and its predecessor the General Register and Record Office of Seamen. The registers were compiled by the RGSS from the official ships’ logs and information received from the Masters. It is searchable by surname. Hope this helps! Good Luck! Sarah

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2005 20:59

Sarah - that's sounds very interesting!! I will follow it up. This is part of my other thread "Can somebody help me find Edwin Bush".

Janet

Janet Report 15 Jan 2005 10:06

Overseas Death Registers are in the FRC in London but they are also now on 1837 Online. Not eveybody is on there but worth a look. Janet