Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barking Side census 1861 &/or 1871 - updated 15/1/

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 14 Jan 2005 17:37

My g-grandfather William Charles LANCASTER was born in "Barking Side, Ilford" in the spring of 1863. Using 1881 census info (by which time they were in Bray, west of London, and William senior was a baker), his father, William LANCASTER, was born in Dunstable 1826-7; and his mother, Elizabeth nee BATES, was born in Northolt, Bucks, 1823-4. At the time of the birth cert (1863), William senior was "Manager to a Charcoal Merchant". ....... Does anyone have any census (or anything else?) info -presumably 1861 or 1871, which could give me more info about this family? ....... many thanks, Christine

Wendy

Wendy Report 14 Jan 2005 19:54

I believe Barkingside parish records are held by the Essex record Office. If this is the case, I could check baptism records for you one day next week. This should confirm his parents and give names of siblings. I am not sure if there is an index for the 1861/1871 census for the area. {I believe there is only 1851 index].If so I could check that too. Contact me directly as I may not check this thread again. Give me the details again if you get in touch. No promises---it depends what the ERO holds.

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 14 Jan 2005 21:46

Hi Christine, Matt could be right about 1871. Northolt is in Middx, not hundreds of miles away, but not in Bucks or Berks as far as I know. Best wishes Amanda

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jan 2005 08:43

Many thanks for all the replies. I should, perhaps, have put "Northolt, Bucks" into inverted commas in the thread-header. In fact, the 1881 census spells it "Northalt, Bucks" (see next paras for the dangers of making assumptions!). But I do know where Northolt is, really. Just intrigued that she should have put "Bucks" so firmly each time - unless that's another boundary change, or it was one of those alienated islands of county in another. The census info, Susan, looks really possible, doesn't it! Do they give addresses with those censuses? - or just the general "Maidenhead" / "Clewer" (presumably Clewer Village)? Thank you so much for what you've given me - that certainly looks like a sister However - your transcription of Elizabeth's birthplace has given me an epiphany!!! It isn't Northolt at all. It's Northall. That's west of Dunstable, and just into Buckinghamshire. I'd been wondering how they met!! Thank you so much! - GR mutual support has come up trumps again! Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jan 2005 12:11

The realisation that the place of birth was Northall has helped me find the marriage: 1846 Oct-Dec Leighton Buzzard district - this would be right for Northall. (I have given a correction notice to FreeBMD where William was shown as married in the Jul-Sep quarter - until I checked on 1837Online) This also means that they could well be in Essex as a family for the 1851 census. Until today, I wasn't sure whether they were married before 1851. progress! - thanks to you all Christine