Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I borrow some brain power please??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 14 Jan 2005 07:30

My gt gt grandfather was John Grainger born in Sherburn Yorkshire about 1832. He married Ann Render born in Youlthorpe Yorkshire about 1834. Now, I have found a marriage on Family Search for a John Grainger marrying a Ann Bender in 1853 in Hayton, Yorkshire. Can I assume this should be Render not Bender ???? AND....is Hayton anywhere near Sherburn or Youlthorpe? They lived in Cawood after the marriage ??? HELPPPPPPPP..too may English places !!! Thanks

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 14 Jan 2005 07:47

Hi, It could be the right marriage. The only way to be sure is to get a film of the records at an LDS centre and have a look at it. I always check out IGI info as so much of it is mistranscribed or downright wrong. I can't help with the geography but try www(.)streetmap(.)co(.) uk - it's very good. Gwynne

Angela

Angela Report 14 Jan 2005 08:06

Hayton and Youlthorpe are not too far apart. There is more than one Sherburn, but neither is very near to there.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 14 Jan 2005 08:28

thanks Gwynne & Angela. Funny thing is that John & Ann's daughter Alice (my gt grandma) married a bloke who's mother was a Render & from Youlthorpe as well. hmmmmmm

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 14 Jan 2005 13:26

Does anyone else have any ideas?? thanks

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 14 Jan 2005 13:38

Hi Karen Lots of my hubbie's rellies come from the same area. It sounds like you are looking at Sherburn in Elmet - Cawood is very close to that. Not come across the other places. Re the marriage, I checked Free BMD, but nothing there. I'm sure somebody on here would do an 1837online lookup for you if you post the details. Good luck Pauline

Jack

Jack Report 14 Jan 2005 14:09

Youlthorpe & Hayton are both villages to the east of York, only a few miles apart. Hope that helps. Jack

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 14 Jan 2005 18:13

Keep an eye on this site, too: http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk It may come up with something relevant. I did wonder about this one: Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1840 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference RENDER Ann Skelton York SKE/1/25 but it doesn't look quite right for the info you've given. Christine

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jan 2005 18:24

If you have the birth year right - the marriage date is a bit early isnt it?

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 19:22

To throw a spanner in the works - here is an 1853 marriage on ancestry civil reg, no Grainger in sight: About this database A collection of indexes to Birth, Marriage, and Death records for England and Wales, between 1837 and 1983. More information below « Global Search Results Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page Mitchell, Thomas 1853 June Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding of Yorkshire 9b 428 Procter, Mary Ann 1853 June Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding of Yorkshire 9b 428 Render, Mary 1853 June Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding of Yorkshire 9b 428 Robinson, Thomas 1853 June Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding of Yorkshire 9b 428 nell - couldn't find anything for Bender.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 17 Jan 2005 14:39

thanks everyone. Wish my rellies didn't move about so much.