Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer illiterate-need some help or advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 13 Jan 2005 21:00

I want to send a floppy disk to my cousin who is not on line. I store my info on Familysearch's PAF file, she uses a different program. Is there any way of converting my files so they can be read by hers? I've done gedcom files before (not sure I rememeber how though!). Will this do the trick? I'm no good with computers. I thought I made a nice neat winzip & sent it to my brother, but it disappeared into the ether! Any one any ideas? Thanks, LIZ

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 13 Jan 2005 21:08

gedcom is probably your best bet.

Skewedhalo

Skewedhalo Report 13 Jan 2005 21:12

Hello Elizabeth. If your cousin's software can use gedcom files, and many can, then this indeed would be the best way to transfer your data to them. I don't know your software, but the most logical place to be able to save you data as a Gedcom file would be under the 'File' menu. There should be a 'save as' or 'export data' option, and you should then be able to select gedcom as an option. Hope this helps, Sharon