Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coachman/Ostler/cabdivers on census nights

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jo

Jo Report 13 Jan 2005 04:16

Hi, My g.g.grandfather John GOSDEN is variously described as a coachman, ostler and cab driver in Greenwich on his family's BDM documents 1839 - 1846. I can't find him on any of the Kent '41, '51 or '61 census documents, but he is listed in Greenwich census in '71. How/where would someone be recorded who was travelling on census night? Is there any chance I can find him? Jo

Karen

Karen Report 13 Jan 2005 04:19

Hi jo how weird my family ancestry is gosden too may be we should get in touch lol

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 13 Jan 2005 06:19

Jo I have a rellie who was a coach man in 1891. i cannot find him in 1981 or 1871. Never thought that he may have been travelling. I would like to know the answer to this one too! Alice

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Jan 2005 09:46

Wouldn't they stop for the night somewhere? Maybe they are at a coachhouse or something.

Jo

Jo Report 14 Jan 2005 04:08

Well, yes I think they would stop for the night, but where? If they lived in Greenwich, Kent, I think they could be anywhere in London, Surrey or Middlesex. Any suggestions on how to narrow it down? Jo

John

John Report 14 Jan 2005 08:22

Try finding the strays for the neighbouring counties.

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jan 2005 08:37

Or lodgers/boarders. I wonder if it was like today and they told people they wouldnt got south of the river after midnight!!!

June

June Report 14 Jan 2005 10:22

I asked about shiftworkers working nights a few moinths back but I'm afraid it wasn't really resolved. the people he was lodging with put him on the census but didn't put the correct birthplace so I cant be absolutely sure it was him. I THINK the head of the house where he would be sleeping if he wasn't working, would normally enter his name on the census. June xx

Angela

Angela Report 14 Jan 2005 13:44

Perhaps it would depend on whether he was actually on the road during the night or stopped at an inn. If he had stopped somewhere, he might be included with the other people in the building.