Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fairly new to this - and a bit dense!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 12 Jan 2005 13:11

Hi wonder if anyone can advise. I need to order a birth cert for my great grandmother, Mary Ann Butlin, but unfortunately do not know her exact date of birth and there are two Mary Ann Butlin's in the correct registration district in the correct year. If I request a cert from GRO and put in a checking point of the fathers christian name (I have found both of them on the census for 1891) what will happen if I have requested the wrong one? Will they give me a refund, or is there an admin fee payable anyway? Thanks. Trudy

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 12 Jan 2005 13:14

Hi Trudi Have you narrowed it down to which one you want? I believe if you put the fathers name in as a checking point and it isn't correct you will be charged about £3 instead of the full amount. Jeanette x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 12 Jan 2005 13:18

I think there is a charge of £3 which is non refundable. Perhaps if the birth was outside of London you could request the certificate from the relevant registry office by phone. They may be good enough to look for the correct birth for you if you ask them nicely! (I think you'll probably get the certificate quicker this way too) Good luck Janet

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Jan 2005 13:24

Hi Do you know which area the birth was in? Would that help to narrow the choice? Christine PS - sorry just re-read - it's the same District.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jan 2005 13:35

Have you got Mary Ann's marriage certificate. Who does it say her father is? Will this help you to decide which certificate to order?

Trudy

Trudy Report 12 Jan 2005 16:57

Thanks everyone, just awaiting their marriage cert to make certain of her fathers christian name, then will try ordering with a check on that. Trudy

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jan 2005 17:05

From the GRO website faqs: want? If you have done your own searching in the GRO indexes and have found more than one reference to the name you are researching, or are unsure which is the entry you require, we offer reference checking online. The charge is £7 for action on the first entry, which includes the cost of the certificate, and £3 for checking each subsequent reference against the information you have provided. To enable us to do this, you must give us one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate, e.g. the exact date of the event. A certificate will only be issued if the entry we check matches the checking point you give us. Q10. How will I receive a refund if my application is unsuccessful? If an application is unsuccessful, this office will charge a checking and / or search fee, and refund the difference. The refund will be made directly to your credit / debit card account via the Worldpay payment service provider. A letter or e-mail of explanation will also be sent to you at this time. Please do not contact the General Register Office to enquire about any refund made until you have received and read this letter. nell