Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Differences in GRO certs and originals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 11 Jan 2005 22:23

I just had an interesting mail from a one name group I belong to (Boniface). One member was saying that she had received a copy marriage cert from GRO and was then given the original by a relative. On the original it clearly showed the father as "deceased" but not on the copy sent by the GRO. Another member added that the cert given to the couple is the original and the details are also entered at same time in the register which details are sent on at some point to the GRO. So once again, like the census forms, we have the opportunity for incorrect info!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jan 2005 23:14

Info sent to the GRO is from an original copy. Mistakes can occur at any point in which information is sent - on the original form and then when it is copied or transcribed. Mistakes happen! There are lots of spelling mistakes in requests typed on these boards. The important thing is being able to find out about them and being aware that just because something is written on an official document doesn't mean it is accurate. nell

Irene

Irene Report 11 Jan 2005 23:53

The nearest you can get to the originals if you don't have that one is the Church records, lots of mistake occur, ages seem to be the worst. But don't forget that many could not read or write so didn't know if a mistake was made. Irene

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jan 2005 07:56

I thought that the entry in the register was the original and the paper you take away with you is a copy of that. Am I wrong?

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 12 Jan 2005 11:21

So far i have only had certificates from the Dewsbury and Leeds record offices and the ones dated in the 1800s have been actual copies of the original certificates - so little chance of things being copied wrong. It's also nice to see my ancestors actual signatures (or marks) - brings them that bit closer.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 12 Jan 2005 11:29

Copied from an earlier thread With church weddings two registers were signed, one at register offices. Every three months the vicar/local registrar copied these and sent them to the District Superintendent. It is these copies that were sent to GRO. When the church registers became full one was sent to the District Superintendent and the other kept by the church (usually then to CROs), so there should be two originals from churches (with signatures etc). The local registrar also sent his completed book to th DS when full. The GRO certs are thus transcriptions and this is where the errors arose. (until photocopying) Not all District Offices give out copies of the originals even though they hold them. So if you can view them at CRO that is your best bet. You will also find ones missing from GRO. Believing GRO to be complete and accurate is one of the biggest mistakes people make. It has been estimated that there are 50,000 marriages missing from GRO ! If you want to read the original ACT OF 1836 which said how this works go here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb(.)com/%7Eframland/acts/1836Act.htm (heavy reading) Thnks to Guy Etchells Bob