Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage in scotland HELP!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Waveyone1

Waveyone1 Report 11 Jan 2005 15:21

tried the sites for scotland but found their records are'nt for the years i want,, can anyone suggest anything.. looking for a marriage of EDITH M GIMBER born 1915 to someone with the surname RICE in or near edinburgh not sure of the year...as i cannot find this marriage anywhere in england i am guessing it was in scotland as edith went to live ther in 1920s on her marriage to my dad in 1956 in cornwall she was stated as divorced

John

John Report 11 Jan 2005 15:44

If there was some kind soul visiting New Register House in Edinburgh, they'd be able to look it up for you from there. My next scheduled visit isn't until March though, so hopefully someone else here will be able to help out. Unless, of course, you're able to visit Edinburgh yourself within the near future?

Irene

Irene Report 11 Jan 2005 20:29

Do you know the birth year of a child that would give the parents marriage date. Scotland is different to us they have more information On the Marriage certificate it has both parents Birth they have the parents and their marriage date. After 1928 for a marriage you will have to ring them up and leave a message if they don't answer, they will ring you back, within a few hours. It cost £8.00 a certificate and £5.00 to check, £13.00 in all now I can use the information on Scotlands people and its much cheaper than ours. I did have the marriage date when I phoned so this made it easier. If you know the birth date of a child then they would be able to help with that for you. Irene

John

John Report 17 Jan 2005 13:49

I should be visiting Register House in Edinburgh next week, can look for you then if you want.