Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal family on 1881 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dauna

Dauna Report 11 Jan 2005 07:19

I am searching for my great great grandmother, Pauline Borel who was born in switzerland and worked as a ladies maid for the Duke of Connaught, son of Queen Victoria, in 1880s. How would I do a search on a census for the Duke's household. I have tried the name Connaught with no success. I am not sure where his residence was. Any help would be appreciated. Dauna

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 11 Jan 2005 07:27

You can put in her name and place of birth.This will show where she was living.She is not showing up on the 1881 census

Dauna

Dauna Report 11 Jan 2005 07:35

Thanks Margaret. Yes I already tried that. I wanted to look at the household to see if she was under another name and also to see if her future husband was listed. Dauna

Davina

Davina Report 11 Jan 2005 08:35

Dear Dauna, My ancestor also worked for the Duke of Connaught. Their place of residence was Bagshot Park in Bagshot, Surrey. My great grandparents met while they were working there. I don't believe that the Duke of Connaught was in residence at the time of the census although his wife was. Off-hand cannot remember the name but look for Edward Draper who was a Hall Porter and in residence at Bagshot Park in the 1881 census. He was the witness at my great grandparent's wedding. Just to save you a bit of research. I wrote to the Royal Archives in Windsor Castle asking if they could give me any more information on the life at Bagshot Park, perhaps staff records, wages etc. They wrote back really quickly and said that they have no archives or correspondence relative to any of the properties of the Duke of Connaught, nor were they aware of the existence of any such documents. I also wrote to the "Chief of Staff" (felt a bit silly writing to Prince Edward) asking for information - even enclosing a SAE - but had no reply from them. I have been in touch with a descendant of the man who was Head Gardener at the time who was quite helpful. He says that photographs do exist of that time but because of their royal content they are deemed sensitive and have not been published! He has a website with some photos of the gardens etc. If you google "Rose" and "Bagshot Park" you should find him. It has been quite sometime since I last contacted him so he may have more information as I know that he had personal contact with the Head Gardener of today! Do let me know how you get on with this, Davina

quite contrary mary

quite contrary mary Report 11 Jan 2005 10:29

Just to clarify - Pam's census info refers to 1901 at Dover Road, Folkestone and 1891 (not 1881) at 48 High Street, Folkestone. If you want pix of these 2 addresses let me know, as I'm Folkestone based. Regards, Mary

quite contrary mary

quite contrary mary Report 11 Jan 2005 10:37

Another thought, if Pauline was 26 in 1891, she would only have been 16 in 1881 and may not yet have arrived in England to take part in the census. My copy of the 1891 Folkestone census does not show her as BS (British Subject) so she was Swiss born? Regards, Mary

Dauna

Dauna Report 11 Jan 2005 18:07

Thank you all very much: I think I may have been mistaken about the royal connection. I now know she came over as a ladies maid with someone from switzerland for the opening of Connaught Park in Dover, whenever that was. Pamela you have definitely found the right family, thank you. Christina, its a possibility and interesting. Mary- Mary thank you for the clarification I will email you if I need nore info. Once again thank you all Dauna

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Jan 2005 18:12

Victoria appears as QUEEN THE on the 1881 census. If that doesn't work, you can find the Royal household by searching for John Brown born in Scotland living in Berkshire.