Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exchanging Trees - help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera

Vera Report 10 Jan 2005 23:05

Can anyone tell me how I can exchange my tree with another member other than putting a message on here so that she can reply to it so that I can then send her my tree. I want to send my tree to a friend we normally keep in touch by email and we are both members. Many thanks for any help with this.

Juliana

Juliana Report 10 Jan 2005 23:09

if she is a contact you can click on that and then theres a button that says allow view (i think) of the tree - that should go through x

June

June Report 10 Jan 2005 23:13

Hi if you want to see another members tree you have to have their permission which is done through e-mail once you have their permission you click on view trees on the left of this page i hope this helps.

Vera

Vera Report 10 Jan 2005 23:26

Thanks for all your help I understand about exchanging trees with contacts. My problem is how do we become contacts as I thought the only way you could do that was to reply to a message on here and then you become a contact of that person. At the moment we only email each other not through this site, so other than replying to a message I put on here for her to reply to, how do we become each other's contacts? Eg to make my friend a contact, is the only way, to put a message on here for her to reply to? I hope that makes sense. Thanks everyone.

Judy

Judy Report 10 Jan 2005 23:46

Vera: If you maintain your tree on your PC (and you should opposed to keeping your only copy on this website) you could send your friend a copy of your tree via e-mail by attaching the file. If your only copy of your tree is on this site, you can export your tree onto your PC and then e-mail the exported .ged file to her as an attachment. Judy

Vera

Vera Report 11 Jan 2005 00:18

Thanks Ruth and Judy thats a great help, had not thought of keeping a copy on my pc Judy and your right I do only have the one copy which is probably not a good idea so will sort that out as well. Thanks.