Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Game Keepers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fern

Fern Report 10 Jan 2005 19:32

Hi, Just recieved a marriage certificate today and it states that the grooms father was a Game Keeper. I could I find more information about it. All I know is that his son was born in Bromley. If anyone has got ideas and if they know what kind of game keeper he could have been (estate, park?) please let me know. Fern.

Natalie

Natalie Report 10 Jan 2005 19:41

Not sure what dates you're looking at, but you could check him out on the Census and see if he lives on or near a country estate. Natalie

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Jan 2005 19:52

Fern, Have just found out that my 3xgt grandfather was a gamekeeper in kent and his children were born in the Bromley area. From what someone who still lives near there told it is more than likely that they worked for a large house on their estate. I too have tried to find out about Gamekeepers and drawn a blank as well. Would of thought though that there would of been a lot of lage estate houses back then so maybe yours worked for one of the houses, have you tried a census to see if they lived on an estate?? Did the wife work as a Domestic servant there as well? Just a thought. Dawn

Fern

Fern Report 11 Jan 2005 18:57

Thanks Dawn, I don't know much about the family apart from the game keeper was called Joseph Blackman and his son Alfred. I think he died around 1855. Have ordered Alfred's birth certificate that will tell me both parents professions. He must have worked in or near Bromley. Thanks for yor advice. Fern.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Jan 2005 19:46

I don't know how long this went on for, but gamekeepers had to be licenced - presumably because they were armed and took the occasional potshot at poachers. This would usually be found in quarter session records and occasionally some kind soul has indexed them. B

Janet

Janet Report 11 Jan 2005 20:06

If you join your local family history you will probably find that they have some information on the gamekeepers of the area. They certainly have in Northants FHS. You will also find info in the local record office and the estates where they operated. Janet

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jan 2005 21:09

Interesting thread as my gt Grandfather was also a gamekeeper, at first in Morden Dorset and then in Ealing Hants. I haven't found out any more about it either so would be interested to know if you find anything. The licensing part is promising though, i must look into that. Ann Glos

Steven

Steven Report 12 Jan 2005 09:07

Hi Fern, you may be lucky enough to have agamekeeper of some note, try the British association for shooting and conservation ,they can give you contact details for the modern day gamekeeper's association 01244 573000. Steve:

Janet

Janet Report 12 Jan 2005 09:48

knole Park, Sevenoaks, with its Deer park is not that far from Bromley which was Kent and I would suggest was worth a close look so use the Kent Record Office for more info.. Janet

Fern

Fern Report 12 Jan 2005 16:30

Thanks all for your advice will look into them. I think it's a fantastic thing to find out about your relatives. Any more advice keep them coming. Fern.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 12 Jan 2005 17:21

Hi Fern...if you get any clues about which estate, I have some fairly large scale old maps of the Bromley district (somewhere!!0 which may help. Peter in NZ

Fern

Fern Report 12 Jan 2005 18:47

Hi Peter, All I know is that his son Alfred was born in Chislehurst which is in Bromley. Anything other than that I'm at a blank. I should be getting Alfred's (the son) birth certificate through soon so that might tell me the estate name under the father's occupation. Thanks for having a look for me. Fern.

Caz

Caz Report 12 Jan 2005 19:03

According to family sayso my gg grandfather was a gamekeeper on Lord Ribblesdale's (?) estate and that g grandfather (illegitmate) was born in a house nearby. I know that great grandfather was born in Paythorn, near Clitheroe. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the estate might be? Carole

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 12 Jan 2005 19:39

Peter, Does your map include Hurst which is Bromley area, my 3 x gt grandfather was a Gamekeeper there and one of their children had a private baptism which we think was on the estate (although no proof). All the other children were baptised in Chislehurst. Dawnie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 12 Jan 2005 20:17

Great thread this Fern! My great Grandfather was also a gamekeeper at Dyrham Park, south Mimms, Hertfordshire. He didn't start working there until 1930 when his brother and business partner diddled him out of their profits. Apparently it's now a golf club! Jeanette x

Fern

Fern Report 13 Jan 2005 15:19

Thanks for all your advice keep them coming. Fern.