Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Albert Newprt born 1849 Berkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 10 Jan 2005 18:45

I am unable to find Albert Newport born about 1849 in Loncot Berkshire see below

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 10 Jan 2005 18:45

I have him living in Norfolk in 1901 and 1891, but I am unable to find him on the 1871 and 1881. In 1901 he was living with his wife Annie born in Oldham Anyone out there with creative ideas for searching? Surely he can't be mistranscribed twice!! Alice

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 10 Jan 2005 20:54

Nudge for Mad Alice!!! Cos I can't find him!!! Have looked and looked, but where is he???? Probably obvious somewhere!!! Not related to your quest but found a Albert Newport listed as a publican in 1900, on some Norfolk website!!?? http://www(.)norfolkpubs(.)co(.)uk/norfolkc/coltishall/coltianc(.)htm Sorry couldn't be more help and apologise for useless info!!! LOL Sarah

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 10 Jan 2005 21:04

Thank you Sarah that was him! I find it really annoying because none my rellies were local =-I live in Norwich - then I found him in Norfolk and thought yippee! Local research! Could not find him on 1881 and thought he would be bound to be on the 1871 when it got put onto ancestry - but nowhere to be seen. It's soo frustrating! Alice

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Jan 2005 21:27

Have you found the marriage cert? That might give you a clue - depending on when it was. Incidentally, if you're actually using a search-function, the 1901 census says "Longcott" in Berks. One way to track that would be to use FreeBMD to get a possible marriage (i.e. with the right names as possible) e.g. Marriages Jun 1893 Clack David Witney 3a 1403 Jones Harriet Selina Witney 3a 1403 Newport Albert Witney 3a 1403 Turner Annie Witney 3a 1403 (I've looked backwards from 1901 and there was a Mary Ann Beale, but I couldn't see her born in Lancs at the right time) and then look in Lancashire BMD for a birth of Ann(ie) with the right surname, in Oldham, registered ca 1863 e.g. Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1862 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference TURNER Ann Chadderton Oldham CHAD/17/466 TURNER Ann Crompton Oldham CR/13/18 If it is this one, it won't help, because it's between 1891 & 1901. I'll let you carry on that search if you think it's worthwhile. Otherwise, I think you're down to guessing mistranscriptions. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Jan 2005 21:30

If he was a publican in 1900, is the 1901 census transcription of his job wrong? I suppose you might misread publican as postman. Christine

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 10 Jan 2005 22:02

Yes Jim, he was a coachman in norfolk in 1891 then a publican. He obviously beamed down from space ship having spent 20 years with all my other lost rellies! Thank you all for your help - I can't get my head round it all at moment, but will keep your comments for when I can! Alice