Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Age of enlisting to RM in1860s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2005 10:14

When my Gt grandfather enlisted into the R Marines his age is given as 19 years and 6 months. His actual age was 22 years and 9 months. Other than a clerical error can anyone think of a reason why he should falsify his age by 3 years and 3 months. I know that they were often unaware of their correct age but that is quite a large margin. Was there perhaps in 1862 a maximum age by which they could enlist? He was enlisted into the Light Infantry at Wolverhampton and sent to Forton barracks Gosport hants 10 company. Ann glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2005 20:29

Sorry, I am going to move this up again for those who may not have seen it. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2005 20:34

I dont know the answer to that Ann but if anyone does please let me know as our ggrandad lowered his age from 19 to 18 and this was in 1888. It doesn't make sense. thankyou, Carleen Poppy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2005 22:23

I can only think it may be to do with serving an apprenticeship, maybe they had to be under a certain age. But then I would have thought 19 would have been too old. Ann Glos