Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing people

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heidi

Heidi Report 9 Jan 2005 23:03

I'm new to all of this and I've been wondering, do I have to keep buying birth and marriage certificates to trace people? Are there cheaper ways of tracing people - otherwise this is going to be a very expensive hobby!

Juliana

Juliana Report 9 Jan 2005 23:06

No -there are a few sites that hold a lot of info ancestry (.) co (.) uk freebmd freepages family search org 1837 online and also asking for help from other genes members has proved a great success as people are really helpful. Good luck with all of your searches, Juliana x

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 9 Jan 2005 23:07

It depends where your relatives lived and everyone on here is very helpful so fire away with a question. Rosalyn

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2005 23:16

Heidi www.familysearch.org does have a lot of records, but they do need to be checked with the original parish registers. You can look free on the 1881 census on that website as well, which will group families and give approximate dates as well as places of birth. nell

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Jan 2005 06:49

Hi, This can be a very expensive hobby. Sometimes the only way to be sure is to buy the certs and the costs mount up. Once you are hooked you then start buying wills, census CDs, parish records books on local history etc. Run now while you still can! Gwynne

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Jan 2005 22:16

Thanks very much everyone. I just needed a clearer picture on this. Looks like I've got several hours waiting to be filled doing these searches. However, GBP7 for each cert, can that really be justified?!

Heather

Heather Report 16 Jan 2005 00:44

Ok, start with your parents and work backwards. Once you get before 1901 you can start tracing people on censuses. Let us know how far back you are and what you need to know. However, there does come a point where to prove a connection or find out a mothers maiden name or a father you will want to buy birth certs or marriage certs. You may want to subscribe to ancestry too. At about £70 a year it is well worth it as you can look up your ancestors and rellies 24/7 for yourself. To be honest, as hobbies go, its really not that expensive. Ancestry at about £1.20 a week and say even if it was one cert a month (which you probably wont do) - another £1.50 a week. £2.70 a week for a really interesting past time which gives you and your family so much satisfaction?? Cheaper than golf, a gym, the cinema or a drink down the pub, eh? PS I love your "several hours" doing the research. Youll find you do that many hours a day when you are hooked.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 00:48

And sometimes you get info from a cert which is a big clue - it might be an address, a witness on a wedding cert, an informant on a death cert - which helps you to find out more. nell

Irene

Irene Report 16 Jan 2005 09:41

No you don't have to buy all the certificate, but if you want to prove your family and not go off on a wrong line it is worth it. Just keep to the main lines of the family, ie parents for now. Try and get as much information before you buy one though. Looking and the childrens names will give clues (sometimes!). Look at the census as many as possible this does really help. It would be nice to get all the certificates at once but like most of us, we space it out unless we want bread and water for a week. The main thing is to enjoy, only get what you need. I still get that thrill when a certificate comes throught the door and thats after 4 years. Irene