Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please on variations of surnames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Jan 2005 19:13

I have found 3 variations on surname in one family e.g. Mowlson/Moleston/Moulson. These variations appear in one generation of father and children. When entering them on my tree what is the best way to do it just go for 1 version or apply the variations according to the IGI

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 9 Jan 2005 19:42

I have the same issue with 2 or 3 spelling differences for the same surname. For instance the name Pickerell. Other records I have say Pickrell or Pickerill. I put all 3 on my tree figuring there are probably other people with the same spelling variations.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jan 2005 20:31

On my GR tree I enter them as spelling found in the hope that someone else has found them but doesnt know what the correct spelling is. On my own tree, I enter the correct spelling with found spelling in brackets.

Crista

Crista Report 9 Jan 2005 20:38

Andrew, Don't trust the spellings on IGI. They are often incorrect. Can you find the corresponding records on FreeBMD? I find these often differ from IGI. Crista

Peter

Peter Report 9 Jan 2005 20:51

I have a family name with 2 spellings in my tree. and untill I find out which is the right one I have put one as the name and made a note of the other at the bottom of the info column

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2005 21:19

I have 9 variations in 12 generations. I usually enter them as found in the earliest record (baptismal record). Who is to say which is the right one? Do I take my current surname and send it backwards through the ages? Then it will conflict with those whose families have adopted a different version. Do I take the earliest spelling and send it forwards, changing my own name in the process? And who is to say that if I get back another generation or two I won't find a different variation. Why is it never easy?

Helen

Helen Report 9 Jan 2005 21:33

I don't think you can say there is a 'right' spelling. I record them how they appear in the original records, which was usually how the vicar of the time felt it should be spelled. If you just stick to one way of spelling the name you have less chance of finding connections unless the sites you use have Soundex. A friend of mine was more than happy when I found her Herring ancestors were recorded in earlier records as Heron. Much nicer a bird than a fish.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Jan 2005 15:51

If you go far enough back the spellings certainly weren't definitive. I bought a Docs Online file of the probate copy of my great x10 grandfather's Will. His surname is given as Nuland, but his son's as Newland. Christine

Steven

Steven Report 10 Jan 2005 16:18

When i enter a spelling of a name which is different my software will allow me to use AKA (Also Known As) That way i can see all the different variations of their nameand i can alter at any time which variation i wish to use. Steve.