Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i must sound stupid

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 9 Jan 2005 13:30

I know i must sound really stupid but what is microfiche? if i order a census on fiche do i need something special to read it? Thanks Kate

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Jan 2005 13:34

Kate Microfiche is a sort of photographic negative with masses of info on it. Yes, you do need a specific reader to view it. You have probably seen them at libraries etc. Margaret

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 9 Jan 2005 14:15

Hi Kate My small local library has one fiche reader and will let me take my own fiche in to look at on their machine. It is as well to book in advance however. I have looked at the cost of buying even a second hand machine, but way out of my league. I would rather spend the money on yet more certificates! Tina

Irene

Irene Report 9 Jan 2005 15:16

If its the 1901 the you could find about 15 census pages on one fiche, (about postcard size). The others are on film. Irene

Kate

Kate Report 9 Jan 2005 19:59

Thank you every body. Kate x

Angela

Angela Report 10 Jan 2005 16:04

Hi Kate - no you don't sound stupid at all!!! If you don't ask you won't find out! A microfiche is a photographic copy of documents but it is reduced to a very small size so that there is loads of information on the one small negative. You will need a special machine to look at it as it needs magnifying again to see it. You might find one at your local library or at a record office.

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jan 2005 16:09

And they give you a headache when you have been using them for an hour.