Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jan 2005 11:23

Does anyone else find that they get all excited over a nugget of info and when you go to put it into your FT program, its already there and you have totally forgotten about it? Is it me, am I getting too old for all this?

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 9 Jan 2005 11:31

hi heather no hun,it isnt just you lol and i thought i was the only one..phewww lmao susie

Anthony

Anthony Report 9 Jan 2005 11:39

i do not think it is just you FT is a complex subject if you could remember everything you could make a few shiilings now that is old keep asking the questions. TONY.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 9 Jan 2005 11:41

No, It's not just you! Yesterday I thought someone had added to my tree. I keep a card index too. When I looked at that I realized the information was all there in black and white, written by me. I felt really miffed that I could forget in that way. Old age definitely galloping on. Rosemary(Essex)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 9 Jan 2005 11:41

No, It's not just you! Yesterday I thought someone had added to my tree. I keep a card index too. When I looked at that I realized the information was all there in black and white, written by me. I felt really miffed that I could forget in that way. Old age definitely galloping on. Rosemary(Essex)

Irene

Irene Report 9 Jan 2005 11:44

I seem to have a good memory when it comes to Family history (how I don't know) it drives my brother and cousin mad as I reel off all these names and I lose them on the first one. Don't ask me to remember people I work with (unless its everyday ones) or who I met yesterday as I don't remember their names. But now and again I do forget, then they get the laugh at me. Just read this to my husband and he said that sounds just like you, daa he doesn't listen to me now. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jan 2005 12:39

Thank gawd for that, I was wondering if my son would start looking at homes for me. Its so sad, I spent ages looking something up and I was so excited, go to the program and there it is already. Oh well, relief to know it isnt just me. I had someone contact me about a rellie on GR and I thought, do I have a rellie with that surname? Yes I did, albeit a married in but I was shocked I would have put money on the fact I didnt have anyone with that name. Thanks for all your kind input. I will show that to son if he starts trying to drag me into the car one sunday!

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jan 2005 14:57

Yes, thats a very sensible thing to do - not sure I would remember to keep it up to date though. I have several notebooks now with info that meant something to me when I scribbled it down in church vestries or records offices but now means zilch. I must really get more organised, as you have done. Thank you.

Irene

Irene Report 9 Jan 2005 15:13

Always back your tree up every time you add more to it. It will save a lot of time if your computer goes down, as mine did before Christmas. I have been lucky and my son has always been able to save what has been on my computer but one day it might happen where he can't save it so my new years resolution is to save my tree everytime I change something, (do a father and Son disc). Same goes for all my emails, as I have lots of information that I haven't even started to record yet. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jan 2005 15:37

Yes, I have that problem with emails aswell. I have had many from people with info which meant nothing to me 9 months ago but which now may be real gems. MUST GET ORGANISED.