Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 8 Jan 2005 15:25

i have my grandfathers military records(i think)(matthew donovan) he joined the army 1886, and has his mother as next of kin (louisa)he also has a brother on the records (henry).i've checked the 1881 census and 1871 census for the family but without any joy does anyone have any ideas? they should be in the london area and i beleive matthew was born 1868

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 8 Jan 2005 15:29

Is this him?? In 1871?? Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Catherine Donovan 10 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Daughter St George in the East London Charles Donovan 5 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Son St George in the East London James Donovan 40 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Head St George in the East London James Donovan 12 St George in the East, Middlesex, England Son St George in the East London Louisa Donovan 30 St George in the East, Middlesex, England Wife St George in the East London Matthew Donovan 3 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Son St George in the East London

Hannah

Hannah Report 8 Jan 2005 15:33

Hello Christopher, Could this be the family in 1881? It is possible that Henry could have left home by this time if he was older than George (or even if he was a year or two younger). James DONOVAN Head M Male 56 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Runner (Crimp) Louisa DONOVAN Wife M Female 40 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Matthew DONOVAN Son U Male 14 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Scholar Katherine DESMOND Daur M Female 19 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Louisa DONOVAN Daur U Female 7 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Scholar Mary Ann DONOVAN Daur U Female 5 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Scholar Ellen DONOVAN Daur U Female 9 m St Georges East, Middlesex, England James DESMOND Grand Child U Male 1 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Ellen ST CLARE Boarder U Female 19 Bristol, Gloucester, England Machinist Eliza SANDERSON Boarder U Female 28 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Machinist Source Information: Dwelling 18 Devonshire St Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341099 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0455 / 74 Page Number 3 Regards, Hannah

Christopher

Christopher Report 8 Jan 2005 15:33

it could be them two names match but i'm missing the brother henry i'll have to try and find this family in 1881

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 8 Jan 2005 15:35

Do you have an age for Henry. And, could it be a middle name?? Just maybe James was James Henry and used middle name so not to get confused with father. Just a thought.

Christopher

Christopher Report 8 Jan 2005 15:38

both families are possible but henry seems to be illusive

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Jan 2005 15:39

It could be that James junior was James Henry and to prevent confusion was known as Henry to his family. Janet

Christopher

Christopher Report 8 Jan 2005 15:40

i don't think henry is a middle name as he's listed as henry on matthews military records it says next to henrys name hms edinburgh so maybe he was in the navy

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 8 Jan 2005 15:40

Think it must be correct family. No other Louisa Donovans - not a common name.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 8 Jan 2005 15:42

Records aren't always correct though. How are you sure he is related to Matthew? If Henry was older he may already be in Scotland in 1871 and Ancestry can't help.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Jan 2005 17:49

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (which is pay-per-view) has the 1881, 1891 & 1901 census info for Scotland. on the free surname search "donovan" limiting the range to 1881-1901 the census hits number: 1881 Census 36 1891 Census 49 1901 Census 101 You'd have to log in to be able to search properly. Christine