Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Programme??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Jan 2005 14:20

Up to now I have been using family tree programmes that came free with genealogy magazines, but these are only trial version and do not have full access to everything the full program does. I am going to be a full version family tree maker, but my question is which one should I buy. I would like something simple to understand and where it has a facility to add lots of extra personal info . I also wouls like it to be British based. Could I have your views please.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 8 Jan 2005 14:26

I have been using Family Tree Maker 2005 for the last couple of months...and really love it. Very easy to use and it has a scrapbook facility where one can add census images and photographs.

Derek

Derek Report 8 Jan 2005 14:32

Hi Patricia, I use Family Historian, a British product. You can enter all sorts of extra information. Pick individuals out of group photos to assign to a name, a very versatile programme. A bit daunting at first, but the tutorial is good. Another advantage, it actually uses GEDCOM as its native file format, no need to convert when moving data. A demo is available on the Calico Pie website. Hope this helps. Derek