Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

no baptism

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 8 Jan 2005 13:34

Why would a catholic child not be baptised, have a ancestor who had a son Dennis who lived to adulthood but despite hunting through the registers for the local Catholic churches I could find no baptism, found his 2 sisters in the same register one before him and one after him. Went thru the register twice in case I missed him, was this common/unusual? Can only think that he was baptised out of the area that they lived in but this seems unlikely to me.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2005 13:42

It's certainly possible he was baptised out of area. Or he may have been baptised privately at home - not sure how catholics record this or do this, but I think it more likely that he was baptised somewhere than that he wasn't. When was this? nell

George

George Report 8 Jan 2005 13:47

It would have been in late 1891 in Middlesbrough area, his birth was registered in Middlesbrough, have his birth cert. I'm stuck on his baptism though. Think next time I go to Teeside Archives I'll have to just go as many catholic church registers as possible on the off chance he may appear

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2005 14:31

Perhaps he was baptised when staying with relatives - did he have grandparents or aunts/uncles in another area? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2005 14:32

Another thought - were both parents Catholics? It's possible that the sisters were brought up as Catholics but maybe he was baptised in C of E church? nell

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Jan 2005 16:16

I have something niggling in the back of my head that says if he was handicapped he may not have been baptised.

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Jan 2005 16:48

He would probably need proof of baptism if he was married in a Catholic church.

George

George Report 8 Jan 2005 18:16

Father was definitely Catholic, no idea about his mother yet, nor what church Dennis was married in. I'll crack the nut eventually :~)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Jan 2005 09:46

We have found baptisms in unexpected parishes and when we delved further we found that the 'home' parish church was being repaired, at that time. Just a thought- and I do sympathise. My great great grandfather does not seem to have been christened, so I can't find parents,(He was b.c 1813) Even though I can find a family with the correct unusual surname in the right village, with a nice gap between other children, Henry is not found. If only he'd married later in 1837 than springtime, I'd know his father.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 9 Jan 2005 11:56

George would be interested to know if you do find him, as i have a simliar problem. The couple had 8 children, number 3 and 8 died young but i can only find the bapt records for the middle four. All four were christened about a month or so after their birth ( the vicar kindly put the date in the margin) but the eldest two and the youngest two no sign and have no idea why. My problem is that it's the East End of London, so have many churches to search thru, although i have looked in the more local churches with no luck. Hope you find them Shell

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 9 Jan 2005 12:13

Sue do you know where he was born??? I have an address for when the eldest child was born, so as he and his sister, the next child aren't in the right church, am slowly working ever widening circles. But the annoying thing is i knwo the family didn't move as I've electrol rolls. Have you been to LMA??? as they hold parish maps for all of London. Maybe you can narrow it down this way, if nothing else at least you know which church was standing and the name to start searching Shelli P.s. george sorry to hijack LOL

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2005 12:44

George, My first thought was that, as he was the first son, he may have been baptised in the same church/ area his father was baptised in. maggie