Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SMITH Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clairepie

Clairepie Report 8 Jan 2005 13:02

What are the best Smith sites, uk, need to find Liverpool Smith's, its near impossible! Hope someone can help :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2005 13:10

Not sure what you mean by Smith sites. There are all the usual genealogy sites, including the lancs bmd one, but how you will know which Smiths are yours I don't know, unless they have very unusual first names. nell

Irene

Irene Report 8 Jan 2005 13:24

Ok where are you starting from, the years may help, 1837.(com) Indexing Mid 1911- today in Marriages you will get the partners surname Mid 1911 - today in Births you will get the mothers maiden name This will make it possible to look in the marriages and find the first name unless they were marrying Taylor, Brown etc So if you were to look in the quarter for your birth you will find your mothers maiden alongside. Depending who was the eldest start looking from the birth back for the marriage, but you will be looking under the wifes surname which will make it easier, Always go with the easiest option. Then you can check in the same year qtr under Smith to see if the first name matches and they have the same details District, vol & page number. Hope I have helped a bit. By the way I am looking for a family of Smiths from Box in Wiltshire around the 1850's. Lost them after 1860 Would dearly love to find where they went. Irene