Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trees a mess trees a mess trees a mess

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 10:41

This question will prob make me look really silly....but it's doing my head in now so here goes...... My mother had three daughters all with different fathers.....on my tree I cant work out how to put the correct father with the correct child. All 3 daughters on tree say the same father!!!! Red faced Gerri lol

Zoe

Zoe Report 8 Jan 2005 10:48

okay - start be deleting the daughters but leaving fathers "married" to the mother. go to the mother using the "view immediate family page" click "add child" when the page come up to input the info their should be a drop down with the names of teh three fathers to choose which one is correct hope that makes sense Zoe

Slinky

Slinky Report 8 Jan 2005 10:50

I f you wish to put 3 fathers for your children...you must put them as partners to the parent first and then a choice comes up to pick the father for your child. Hope this helps Gerri., good luck, Anne.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 11:04

Thanks Ann and Zoe...Just hope it doesnt make me delete all the grandkids too! (us sisters kids) Silly me started the tree at the wrong end lol Ho hum! Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 11:11

aaaggghhhh!!!! it wont allow me to delete any of us sisters. It's because I have more then one child added to each of us. Do you think I will have to start from the begining? Delete the whole tree and add it all again in the correct order? Frustrated me

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 11:32

Ggggrrrrrr!....I give up!.. not really lol but gonna take a break. I even dreamt about this prob last night. Jim.. I tried your suggestion but I already have the three fathers as Mums partners but still! it says we all have same father! Im NEVER marrying again!!!! lol Thank god all my kids have the same one lol. Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 12:35

oh! yes yes yessss! I think i've done it! I went to each of the fathers and added a child, then put the appropiate childs name. Amazing what a cuppa a fag and a choccy bicci can do! lol Thanks everyone for your help. Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 12:49

oops!.... it now shows that each daughter has two fathers... back to the drawing board....... :((((

Irene

Irene Report 8 Jan 2005 12:58

You will probably find you will have to show her marrying all 3 as if she was widowed, do the eldest first, put fathers name with mother then daughter, then put 2nd father with mother and then daughter, put 3rd father with mother and then daughter. Hope you can understand this. By the way, should you be putting living people on here but in this day of stolen identity I would be careful. You could put A or P what ever their name starts with. Good Luck let us know if it works Irene

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 13:51

Irene Thanks for your ideas but I havent put any names on here!...Herts is where I live not a surname. Good thinking tho for others that might do the same. I havent tried to change it again yet...I need shopping therapy. shop shop shop shop! lol Gerri x

Pat

Pat Report 8 Jan 2005 16:08

Hope you have got further in sorting it out Gerri? Maybe you are still at the shops? LOL. This will nudge the subject for you and maybe people will keep helping you. Good Luck Pat x

Hazel

Hazel Report 8 Jan 2005 17:24

Hi! A similar thing happened to me with my Grandpa! He is attributed to a 'Mother' that died six years before he was born!! His father married his wife's niece, so she has the same surname and I didn't notice immediately. When I asked GC what could be done about it (as I couldn't convince the box to take the right name), they said I would have to delete the whole tree and start again as there were children attached. Well, I tried to beat the system by re-entering my Grandpa and all members down to me and deleting all the 'wrong' line - you've guessed - I can't delete myself! I now have myself and several relatives doubled on that line!!! What sort of programme will allow a Mother six years dead to be linked to a new entry?!! Hazel

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 20:44

Back from shopping therapy :) OMG! Hazel! your in a worse state them me! I think Im gonna have to leave it having hundreds of dads and triple sisters....lol Im trying to convince myself today that this is FUN!!!! ah well! tomorras another day... If anyone does sort it...can you let me know plz? 6 sisters is a nightmare! lol Gerri Gerri Gerri ;0)

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 8 Jan 2005 21:02

Go to www.familysearch and download their free family search software. Export your tree from GC as a gedcom Import it to your new program Edit it there Export it as a Gedcom in Ansel format Import the corrected file to GC Regards Peter

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Jan 2005 21:18

Thankyou very much Peter. (she says with a smile and hopes no one notices she doesnt know what he means)... :o)))) No worries....I know a man that does! lol You have all been great... many thanks xxx

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 8 Jan 2005 23:26

Gerri, Where in Hertfordshire have you been shopping and was it any good? Viv in North Herts.

Hazel

Hazel Report 8 Jan 2005 23:44

Hello again! Hope the free download is better than my (expensive!) Family Tree 4 which has obstinately made one of my relatives marry first his wife then his mother - I have been on to their help desk and they couldn't sort it! Same old thing - either you start again from scratch, or you lump it! Bit depressing isn't it? As it takes HOURS to fill in all details of a couple of hundred (or more or less!) relatives. Or is it just me that's unlucky??!!! Hazel