Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for missing rellies in the census listings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deany

Deany Report 7 Jan 2005 11:12

I had found my Great Grand Uncle Frederick Pickering in 1881 with his wife Lucy and children but was having major probs locating them in 1891, then I found Lucy in 1901 with some of the children and a few more who had been born in Dorset and worked out by the ages of the children that they were in Dorset in 1981. I tried looking up one of the kids, no luck, but then searched for him with just his first name and age and was amazed to see there was a Stephen Fordham same age - I knew Lucy was Fordham before she married so gave it a go and lo and behold, there was all the family - Frederick, Lucy and the kids all listed as Fordhams! Lucys mother was also listed but not as the Head. Seems odd so do wonder if he got upto some dogdy dealings and ran away to Dorset and changed the family's name, but what makes it all the more strange - as I said I found Lucy in 1901 - she was Pickering again, but I thought Id just check Dorset for Fordham to see if Mary was still there and would you believe it - there was Frederick still! Still a Fordham living on his own in Dorset. Obviously something went on there but sadly I guess I will never find out what, unless anyone has any pointers? But if you are missing someone - it might be worth looking for them under the maiden names?