Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Torrington / Tottington Lancs or both?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Jan 2005 10:41

Is one a misspelling or do the two places exist? I have just discovered an Ancestor John Booth age 74 in 1871 census living Southwark but b Torrington Lanc. On IGI there is a John Booth b 1797 Tottington Lancs. Could it be the same one? Shirley

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 10:44

Shirley There's definitely a Tottington in Lancashire, it's now one of the 6 townships of BURY. Can't find details on anywhere called Torrington here. I've checked my maps and googled Torrington Lancashire and nothing comes up! Sounds like it could be the same person! Lou

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Jan 2005 10:50

Thats good news as I only found him last night. The census does say Torrington as I have double checked it. Shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Jan 2005 11:01

Val Oh No! It does say Lancashire on the census BUT from experience they could be wrong. Shirley

Louise

Louise Report 7 Jan 2005 11:05

Torrington is in Devon, I live near there. Louisex

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Jan 2005 11:35

Also East/West Torringtons in Lincs.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 11:45

Torrington Lincs as opposed to Tottington Lancs is a possibility! Lou

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Jan 2005 13:54

I have just looked as census and is says Lancashire,Torrington in very clear writing. Some people on 1881 census came up Torrington Lanc in google search. They were in a workhouse. Mostly tho it is Torrington Devon coming up or Lincs. I am going to try to find them in 1861 and see if John gives the same place of birth. Shirley

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Jan 2005 14:17

Lincs 1841 Census There was actually a family of Booths living in East Torrington (111 inhabitants) though only the children were born there.

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Jan 2005 15:01

Thanks Geoff I only found him yesteday by chance. He and his wife Esther b Southwark were the entry above daughter Esther Hammond (formerly Booth) in the 1871 census. Esther b 1831 has her place of birth as Scotland. I will have another look later as I have been on here best part of the day. Wife Esther still alive age 70 in 1881 census. Took ages to find her again living next door but all have moved. This time gives her place of birth as Bolton Lancashire. Another problem. Living with widowed daughter in law. Ellen Sanderford. Surely it should read Booth if married to Esthers son. Shirley

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Jan 2005 19:08

"Daughter in law" is often used to mean "Step daughter".