Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wierd marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 7 Jan 2005 01:58

i have just collected my grandparents marriage certificate, all the details are correct except his christian names and age.he is registered as ernest george aged 21 but his name was george henry aged 16 everything else checks out. anyone got any idea's? steve

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 02:00

Stephen Sounds like you've may have got the wrong certificate. If the name and the age is wrong - what exactly IS correct on it? Where did you get the info from initially? Lou

Stephen

Stephen Report 7 Jan 2005 02:20

thanks for your reply got the marrage from bmd and1837 the addresses on the certificate match the 1901 census there is a george at the address but not an ernest. also the occupation of my grandfather is correct. also on their death certificate he is 5 years younger than her. i can't find any other marriage whitch matches.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 02:22

Stephen What are their names? Which area? And when did they get married roughly? Post the information on the thread that you got from the 1901 census as well as that will help anyone picking up this thread later to locate the family you are talking about. It's possible the age is incorrect on the marriage cert - my ggrandmother claims to be 24 on hers but she was only just 19 and ages/dates of birth on death certificates are notoriously inaccurate - but that still doesn't really explain the wrong christian names. Is it possible that you have your grandfather's older brothers marriage certificate? That would explain the matching address and occupation. Several members of the same family could be in the same line of work. Lou

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 7 Jan 2005 02:54

stephen...I have so many george henrys in my lot also Elizabeths!!!! Im sick of seeing henry marrying an Elizabeth time after time after time......Guess I have hit a brick wall...... :((((

Pat

Pat Report 7 Jan 2005 03:02

Stephen people don't always go by their true names. Gerri LOL yeah me too Elizabeth, George, William, Ann, and a Henry who decided he preferred to be known as Harry?. Yeah fed up with the same names time and time again, but if almost everything else mathes it probably is him. Pat x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 7 Jan 2005 03:14

If he was under 21 at the time of marriage, he would have needed his parents permission to marry. Seems that many people got around this technicality by claiming to be 21 when they were in fact still minors. Of course, in those days no proof of ID was required!

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 03:16

Think Stephen's abandoned us and gone to bed! Will have to check back on this one tomorrow! Lou

Pat

Pat Report 7 Jan 2005 03:21

Yeah Lou Can't blame him should be in bed myself, but I have so many marriage certs where my rellies where under 21 think it meant very little really, I have one where the groom is two years younger than the bride and he is only 15 years old??? Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 03:24

Pat I'm itching to get my hands on my gggrandfather's cert now I've finally located it. Wife was 22 in 1891 (so she claims!) but is still only 27 in 1901. Married in 1885...1st child born 1882. Can't wait to work out how old she was at marriage/having 1st child! Only feasible birth I can find for her is 1870, which would make her 13 or 14 when she had Ernest! Lou x

Pat

Pat Report 7 Jan 2005 03:32

Lou Exactly and when you see photos from the time didn't they all look so old? even children? Your poor girl was probably only just able to have children, didn't they start later in those days? well so they say. What's the saying "children having children" or something like that. Pat x

Stephen

Stephen Report 7 Jan 2005 11:10

thanks for your reply's my grandmothers name was kate maria haynes aged 21. married at birmingham sept.1901 she should have married george henry harris a tin plate worker. the address on the census is 10 lincoln st. balsall heath.kates address was 33, skinner lane b,ham. they both died in 1954 he was 70 and she was 75. i think myself that he lied about his age. on my mothers birth cetificate he is also a tin plate worker i have to go to work now but will be back later.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 11:14

Stephen I'm assuming this is the marriage that you have the cert for then? Harris, Ernest George 1901 September Birmingham (1837-1924) Warwickshire 6d 337 Haynes, Kate Maria 1901 September Birmingham (1837-1924) Warwickshire 6d 337 Lou