Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

royal artillery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 6 Jan 2005 21:19

i have my grandfathers army number and i know he was a lorry driver but that is it-where do i go from here? if there is some kind person who can help me trace anything on my grandfather i would be very grateful, i have some info on him but not much and could really do with some help if anyone out there is bored

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 21:20

I doubt if anyone can find anything without a name and some idea of time. Have you read this leaflet: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/ nell

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jan 2005 21:26

Mandy, I dont think much can be traced on line. It may be you need to look at the National Archives site. You may be able to find his medal card on there and pay to download it.

Mandy

Mandy Report 7 Jan 2005 09:48

thanks for all the info, my grandad was called harold william knight dob 15/01/1901 a lorry driver in the royal artillery-no date i'm afraid, his army number was K1036777

Ian

Ian Report 7 Jan 2005 11:37

Mandy - was he serving in WW2 or WW1? Seems bit young to have been in WW1 (13-17) and a bit old for WW2? Anyway, if after WW1 and upto and including WW2 then his army service records will be held by the MOD. You need to apply for them and it costs Pnds 25, plus maybe upto 1 years wait. Ian

Mandy

Mandy Report 7 Jan 2005 17:50

not sure which war he was in and i'm actually wondering if the year of birth is correct but i have now found his medal card thanks to help recieved from you all. how much more information will i get from his army records does anyone know because my mother is a bit doubtful about spending £25 if there's not much info to be gained

Mandy

Mandy Report 13 Jan 2005 02:19

have found on his medal card it says he had a former army number but it doesn't come up with anything when i try to find him under that number-why would that be anyone know? and yes it does seem he was naughty and lied about his age to get in the army!