Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Born in Australia in the 1800's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Jan 2005 20:03

Can anyone help ? I've spotted many births registered in Victoria, Australia in the 1800's. Do you know why ? My family were simplefarmers and I can't see how they could afford to go, have three children born there and later return to rural Notts to continue their family. Thanks Sue

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 6 Jan 2005 20:54

Lots of people went to Australia at the governments expense, following a conviction! Others went as prison guards. Some went as soldiers. Some came back at the end of their time there. Peter

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 6 Jan 2005 21:37

Am researching for a friend and her family are back here by 1901 all children born out in Oz, but both parents born over here. Am just waiting for the OZ birth cert to come thru, before i send for the marriage cert.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 6 Jan 2005 23:08

Hi Susan. Many people were brought out to Australia or came out to Australia for many reasons. 1. They had relations already out here. 2. They came out as Assisted passengers. ( meaning there Expenses were paid for or there passage out, by perhaps a relation, or an employer, or the Government looking for trades people in Australia. ) 3. They came out as Un-assisted passengers. 4. Some worked on the Ships coming out as E.G Nurses, porters, ect, ect. 5. The discovery of GOLD "Gold rush" in Australia brought many out hoping to make there fortune. Some did, most didn't, so they went back home ( U.K) 6. Some liked it here, and stayed. 7. And some were just looking for a better life. As you can Imagine in the U.K 1800s large families of up to 13 or 14 children could be born to one family. The Eldest children worked the farms with their Parents the younger of these 14 children were left to fend for themselves, and most sort other Countries hoping for a better life. Hope this explains a little. Cheers. Tony Oz