Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Magazines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 5 Jan 2005 13:36

I am thinking about subscribing to a magazine and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks, Louise

Anne

Anne Report 5 Jan 2005 14:01

Your Family Tree is quite expensive at £4.99 but it does come with a free CD each month. It is exellent, especially for beginners and you can reduce the price by subscribing annually. Family Tree Magazine is less expensive and rather more 'serious' - perhaps better for much more experienced researchers. Both (and others) have lots of useful adverts and contacts in them. Anne

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jan 2005 14:05

The best one in my opinion is "Your Family Tree" what ever your interests and experience there is always something of value. I have purchased others, but have decided to renew my subscription for a second year. I am probably very "sad" but really look forward to my copy arrving each month. If you go to www.yourfamilytreemag*co*uk (Remove * replace with .)you will find all the information about it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2005 15:37

Sue, yes, me. I too buy them all and always find them good value. But also can't bring myself to throw them away. i have weded out some of the adverts in the older ones but still find they are mounting up. I now have four magazine files holders full on my hself. I like Practical Family history and Your family Tree the best, but also but Family history Monthly, Family Tree Monthly and Ancestors (Bi monthly). Ann Glos

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jan 2005 17:50

You might find some in your library and then you could have a browse and see which one might suit you. Some seem to have rather too much about computer set ups for me. I prefer articles about genealogy but do realise that we need help to make informed choices about possible soft ware etc.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jan 2005 18:14

I always buy Family History-----monthly and Family Tree-----monthly. Always plenty of information in these two magazines,really interesting reads. Sue

Janet

Janet Report 5 Jan 2005 20:28

Sue You are not alone. I too buy 4 a month. I just hope and pray that no more Genealogy mags appear as I doubt I will be able to pass it by. I have decided I am definitely addicted to Family History. I use the excuse that I run a Family History Group and need all these mags for the different stages that people are at. Louise Practical Family History is very good for beginners and now has CD's. Family History gives you a lot of web sites with CD and is indexed so you can find that article written in 1999! Family Tree is slightly more advanced, also with a CD but the one to get for real indepth articles and probably for more experienced Family Historians is Ancestors, no CD, but also indexed. I personally do not find the CD's of much use as they tend to be shallow and too bitty for me. I like a CD you can get your teeth into, like the 1881 Census, and those sorts of CD's you have to purchase. The newest mag Your Family Tree comes with a CD and you have to decide whether you think that is worth the price at £4 99. The other mags are much cheaper. I have to say I favour Ancestors but each to their own. Ancestors used to be bi-monthly and only available on subscription, but is now monthly and available through Smiths. Janet

Louise

Louise Report 6 Jan 2005 14:31

Thank you everyone for your advice. It seems like a few of us are currently grappling with the tricky question of what magazine to buy. No doubt we will soon be joining the ranks of those who have problems with storage of all the old back copies! Cheers, Louise

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 7 Jan 2005 23:46

I also buy 4 a month but I dont know why as none of them are very good for helping out with Scottish research... every now and then each one will have a few pages about Scottish research but they just repeat themselves. Still enjoy reading them though. Shaz x

Lisa

Lisa Report 8 Jan 2005 12:25

Bahhh! I don't have a "newsagent" as such where I live, just Tesco and Woolies, and they don't have anything like family tree mags in them! Lisa

Heather

Heather Report 8 Jan 2005 13:05

Are you sure Tescos dont? They have a huge number in mine.